Kegging question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elaeace

Reaction score
Just kegged my first batch of home brew. I got it under about 14 lbs of pressure. How long before I need to dial the pressure down and what pressure setting?

Depends on the temp, the colder it is, the faster it will carb up and the less pressure you will need. I let mine sit on pressure for about a week and see how it is.

I don't like shaking the keg but I don't like waiting 2 weeks. I chill it (38 degrees), set it to 30psi for 2 days then permanently knock it back to 14psi. It's usually ready to drink in 3-4 days.

I have the pressure set at 20 for the last 24 hours...eventually ill have to drop the pressure to the serving pressure...How do I bleed off the pressure when I want to drop the pressure...do I bleed it from the regulator or the serving hose?

The best way to test if your carbonation (and most fun way) is to taste it. If it is where you think you like it, drop the pressure down to a suitable serving pressure. Basically to where it pours nicely (generally 10-14psi depending on style). To release the pressure, there should be a little key ring on the lid of your keg. Turn the pressure down on the regulator, and pull that pin to let the pressure out of the keg. Then set the pressure on your regulator to serving pressure.

Back