Wooden cases for your bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D*Bo

Reaction score
I've been searching for the equipment so I can make wooden cases for my bottles.

I'm pretty set on doing thru dovetails, but I'll be droppping quite a bit of money on this.

My question goes out to all of you. If I started producing these, would you buy them.
I don't know what the material would cost yet, but I wouldn't up the price much from there. Enough to cover materials, my time, and offset the cost of the jig a little.

There would be recessed handles, but not let light thru. The cover will be able to be propped up so you could display what ever was on the lid (you could burn or paint something on there) I was thinking about offering to have a template made to burn in, but that would be getting a little excentric and costly.
Bottles not included at this timme, but maybe in the future if there was enough interest.

I'd also make cases for swing tops (16's, 22's, 1L's), 22's, 750ml wine bottles. Maybe 2 750ml gift cases. 12 pack carriers.

I've only got the standard 12's figured out right now, but if there is interest I will go thru with the purchase and start making them. i've got interest at my LHBS, but not enough to validate the purchase.

So what do you think?

I'll be following the thread, but for me, its all about quality and value.

I haven't looked into this but, if I can buy say an antique wooden Schlitz case for a similar price, then your product is going to have to have a demonstrated quality or workmanship over it.

To me the history has value.

Others will want to compare function and compare you against the cardboard box or plastic.

So, it depends on what you are planning on competeing against.

That is not a bad idea. I think you could find takers. Problem is (for me at least) I don't know if I could shell out the cash to cover all my stock at once.

One cool suggestion...perhaps paint the underside of the lid with blackboard paint. That way there is a simple and functional way to write a description/date/etc.

I've been thinking of doing this also cardboard doesn't last forever. I'd be iterested.

It's very difficult for someone in the USA to build a competitive product. Especially in this day and age. The cost of materials here in the US is almost prohibitive to begin with. When you try to factor in your labor, that's where you are going to run into trouble. There are nice wooden boxes at wal-mart that could be easily modified and used for this purpose made by people in India that work 12 hour days for $5. If it's something you love doing that's different. I'm not trying to throw cold water on your idea and you could always advertise on ebay.
Just my $0.02

Back