Formulating a traditional-style IPA: Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumnerH

Reaction score
I'm trying to get together a spin on a more traditional IPA.

The idea is to get something at the higher hops level of a traditional IPA (rather than the weaker modern British IPAs), but to stick with a British flavor profile (hops and malts).

I'm sticking with extract on this--if you're doing AG, you probably want to drop the biscuit and go with a little bit more crystal 20 and mostly Marris Otter.

Fermentables (5 gallon full boil):
OG: 1.066
7 lb light DME (sub Marris Otter to hit the OG if all-grain)
8 oz Dingeman's biscuit malt (steeped) (replace with crystal if all-grain)
8 oz crystal 20 (steeped)

Hops (50 IBUs):
3 oz Fuggles @60 minutes
1 oz Fuggles @15 minutes
1 oz Fuggles @flameout

Yeast: Nottingham.

Other considerations:
1. I'm leaning towards using some gypsum to harden the water I use a bit (simply because there's some thought that that'll give a more authentic, crisper flavor profile on its own even in extract--obviously this has a more profound impact on all-grain).
2. I'm considering dry-hopping toward the end of secondary with another oz of Fuggles.
3. As it is, I'm all-fuggles. Any thoughts on that vs. using some East Kent Goldings as well?
4. Is Notty a good pick for yeast?

Does this seem like an insane idea?

With an extract beer I would lose the crystal malt as this beer should be fairly dry. You might want to even consider using a little sugar, maybe a pound, to get the FG down a bit. This would also increase the OG a few points which might not be a bad idea. I would also bump up the hops to get an IBU roughly equal to the OG number. Fuggles are fine although my preference would be the Goldings. Goldings have been in cultivation long enough to have been used in the original IPAs if you want that extra bit of tradition. The gypsum is a good idea too as the sulphate will give a little more edge to the hop bitterness. Nottingham is a good choice for dry yeast. If you want to try a commercial beer made with the same idea find some Meantime IPA from the UK. :mug:

Were I you, I'd stick with all Fuggles, and yes, I'd dry-hop it.

Whether or not to drop the Crystal or anything depends, IMO, on the brand of the extract you'll use. If you use Muntons, I'd change nothing and see what happens, because Muntons extracts tend to ferment quite dry. I think you'll need the Biscuit to balance the hops.

I don't think you could choose a better yeast. Nottingham attenuates more fully than other dry yeasts.

Good luck!

Bob

Here's what I wound up with:

Partial mash: 2 lbs Marris Otter, 8 oz biscuit w/ 2 tsp gypsum (90 minutes @155F)

7 lbs Extra Light DME (2.5 lbs early with late-addition of 4.5 lbs)

Hops (64 IBU):
4 oz Fuggles @60 min
1 oz Fuggles @10 min
1 oz Fuggles @flameout

Wyeast 1028 London Ale yeast @62F
1 oz Fuggles dry-hop for the last week in secondary

I had a beer tasting with 12 friends of 5 different brews (Northern Brewer's #8 and Patersbier, this IPA, my Brown Recluse kristalweizen, and a California Common). This beer was most people's favorite, aside from a couple people who don't like hops and preferred the kristalweizen. It's really rich and malty, with a lot more hops than most Br IPAs I've had (Meantime aside).

Overall I was very pleased with the result. I'm brewing it again this weekend, only with all-East Kent Goldings to see which I prefer.

Thanks for the feedback!

Got delayed a bit with the brewing of the followup, but I managed to brew 3 batches this past weekend and one of them was the East Kent Goldings variation on this. I'll report back with thoughts in a few weeks--the brew-day smelled just as good as the original!

Back