New to brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pi55edoff

Reaction score
Made my first batch last night and wasn't really impressed with cooling the wort with ice and water. The question I have is there a certain diameter copper tubing that works best when making a chiller? ie: 3/8",1/2"or 5/8". I'm sure there's a surface area to flow ratio. Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.

3/8" seems to be very popular, and many use 25' lengths. I could only find 20' lengths in town, and I get at or below room temperature when it flows into the carboy.

3/8 is what I got and 20 feet too. Works fine but I also place it in ice bath. Cools 3 gallons to about 80 in 15 mins or so.

My water must be colder than yours - I get 5 gallons down to about 65° in less than 10 minutes.

hbrew85 said:
3/8 is what I got and 20 feet too. Works fine but I also place it in ice bath. Cools 3 gallons to about 80 in 15 mins or so.

Thanks for the replies. My concern with the larger diameter would be it would flow too fast and just be wasting water.

And with a larger diameter copper tube, the less water you have in contact with the tube unless you move up to a larger diameter hose.

pi55edoff said:
Thanks for the replies. My concern with the larger diameter would be it would flow too fast and just be wasting water.

You could always recirculate the water into an ice bath, which is a common practice among many. Get a cheap pump, bucket full of ice water, and let it circulate in the loop. No excess water is wasted, and you could always dump it in the washing machine with a load of clothes when you're finished.

Back