More on Diacetyl Rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbone

Reaction score
I used Wyeast 1187 Ringwood yeast in my current IPA and the Wyeast website states that a "thorough diacetyl rest is recquired after fermentation is complete".

Most on this site say that the diacetyl rest should begin after fermentation is about 75% complete. What I was going to do was let my beer ferment in a tub filled with cold/cool water until fermentation is done and then bring the carboy to an area of the house that is warmer - leave it there for three days before moving to the secondary and dry hopping. Any problems with this procedure?

It really depends on how long you leave the brew in primary or secondary. Ringwood will clean itself up after about 3 weeks in normal ferment range without the need to alter for the D rest, I use it all the time and never have worried about it and have never been given cause to.

good luck :)

Latest posts

Back