wilserbrewer BIAB Bags, Triple Play Value Combo

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone order one of these lately? I ordered one a few days ago and haven't heard anything.

Order placed afternoon of October 2nd and was shipped on the 3rd....today is the 4th...

then my package should be here today or tomorrow .. that would be perfect timing!

Order placed evening of Sept. 30th and shipped the following day October 1st.

Thanks for the purchases and positive feedback!

wilser

Order placed afternoon of October 2nd and was shipped on the 3rd....today is the 4th...

Order placed evening of Sept. 30th and shipped the following day October 1st.

Thanks for the purchases and positive feedback!

wilser

just received mine in the mail!! thank you and nice work.. i will post on tuesday or wednesday on how my first attempt at biab goes

Just finished the mash with your bag. Worked out great!! Only thing I messed up was when I was squeezing the bag the top of bag went into wort and some grain went into the kettle.. Keep up the great work

Out of curiosity, is there any disadvantage to using one if your dry hop socks for boiling with a hop spider, other than reduced hip capacity? It would seem like a great fit for the diameter of my spider.

Only disadvantage to using a hop sock for boiling hops would be the smaller size of the bag. The long thin shape of the hop sock is intended for dry hopping in kegs. You must be using a very narrow spider, as the hop socks are only about 5 inches wide, or roughly 3 inches diameter, the larger hop bags intended for boiling are about 10 inches wide, and roughly 6 inches diameter.

Please let me know if you have specific needs and I will try and accommodate.

Thanks,
Wilser

Got my bag the other day, looks great, can't wait to use it. Wish I had ordered a hop spider bag, though!

Quick question, is the draw-string strong enough to hold the bag full of grain?

The drawstring is quite strong, I believe the poly braid rope (1/8") that I am currently using is 216 lb break strength, so it should be plenty strong IMO and IME.

I did a thread describing various techniques to attach the ratchet pulley to a bag, FWIW I usually use a short piece or cord wrapped tight around the upper portion of the BIAB bag...see link below.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f244/biab-hoisting-w-ratchet-pulley-416419/

Additionally, you can also wrap the excess drawstring around the top of the gathered bag and tie it tight as a lifting point. I did this this past weekend as I was brewing away from home and didn't have my usual bag of tricks by my side...

The drawstring is quite strong, I believe the poly braid rope (1/8") that I am currently using is 216 lb break strength, so it should be plenty strong IMO and IME.

I did a thread describing various techniques to attach the ratchet pulley to a bag, FWIW I usually use a short piece or cord wrapped tight around the upper portion of the BIAB bag...see link below.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f244/biab-hoisting-w-ratchet-pulley-416419/

Additionally, you can also wrap the excess drawstring around the top of the gathered bag and tie it tight as a lifting point. I did this this past weekend as I was brewing away from home and didn't have my usual bag of tricks by my side...

I saw that thread, but the pictures were blocked at work, now it all makes sense, thanks:tank:

Wilserbrew is the man. I ordered the triple play combo and received a quadruple play instead. I left a comment on paypal requesting the boiling hop bag rather than the dry hop bag as I couldn't tell by the triple play description which was included. That rascal mailed me both of them! The grain bag looks superb, the boiling bag and dry hop bag are of the same quality, and the pulley system looks perfect. I'll test all this stuff out within the next couple of weeks and report back. Really though wilserbrew has customer service down to perfection, I wouldn't hesitate to order from him again. can't wait to try out the bonus dry hop bag! Thanks wilserbrew !

I agree vellum. Used my triple play this passed weekend on a wheat beer. Everything worked great

How much weight can this hold? Yeah I read the thread, but I have concerns I don't feel have been fully addressed.

I'm using a 1bbl kettle with roughly a 34" diameter. I use an electric hoist to raise grain bills of 60# and up. With your bag I might be able to submerge 80# of grain.

My primary consideration is safety. Having an 80# bag draining over a kettle filled with 30-gallons of boiling water fail results in a week long hospital stay (I know).

So let's say I have an 80# grain bill. Let's say the bag is plenty strong and won't fail. Let's say lifting by the drawstring would be a bad idea. Let's say I'm not planning on doing excessive squeezing to get the last drop out. Let's say a bag failure where the grain falls into the kettle due to a bag failure is not nearly as bad as the entire bag falling in at once due to a knot failure.

I'm not quite clear on how best to attach the bag to the lift and I didn't see any 80# grain bills discussed up thread. What kind of knot would you recommend for maximum safety? What kind of backup plan would you suggest in case the primary method were to fail?

Would you ever consider using three bags? Bag one with 40#, bag two with 40#, bag three with bags 1 and 2. Attach all three bags to the hoist so that if any one bag fails you don't go to the hospital. Or am I just being silly?

Back