Jug of Mead that's been sitting a while...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kramer

Reaction score
Any reason not to drink? It's a powerful mead, probably 15% abv.....been sitting, at room temp, in a plastic apple cider jug for about 6 months. Nothing visible in terms of problems. Anything to be concerned with? Or...drink away?:drunk:

Definitely drink! If you have a way to transfer to a glass container for longer aging that would be even better. At my last homebrew club meeting a guy shared some 6 year old peach mead that was 15% abv and very smooth from the aging.

Drink away. I seriously doubt there is anything harmful in there.. If it's been in a plastic container that isn't rated 1 (Like PET bottles) then you may have some oxidization which can affect taste... But I don't think you'll have a problem.

Okay....took some sips. A little harsh. It's not really a mead, I forgot. It's a brown sugar alcohol.....what would that technically be? Has a fairly heavy taste that's very similar to a whiskey where the malt has been dried with peat. Really peaty tasting. Not sure that's a good thing in a beer.

Hmmm - mole-asses wine? The one beer I added molasses to ended up bitter (not from hops), woody, unpleasant. Of course, brown sugar has molasses in it. It probably won't get any better than it is now.

Any reason not to drink? It's a powerful mead, probably 15% abv.....been sitting, at room temp, in a plastic apple cider jug for about 6 months. Nothing visible in terms of problems. Anything to be concerned with? Or...drink away?:drunk:

6 months is about the beggining of taste testing for mine.
might taste plasticy depending on the jug, most cider is in milk jugs and juice in PET, but there is nothing to be done about it now.

thanks guys. Yea, for sure molasses wine was not the best idea. I guess that's why it has been sitting for so long. To clarify, it's still in the fermenter. The jug was the fermenter. Thus, the yeast/trung is still on the bottom. I just poured a glass real carefully. Tastes like a REALLY peaty whiskey (like an Islay).....or maybe burning brakes:mug:

Packs a wallop though:drunk:

Latest posts

Back