getting ready for first AG. Seeking advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fidler2475

Reaction score
I'm getting ready for my first AG brew after several extract brews that came out OK. Now I'd like to step it up and am finally completing my build. I built my three tier system on casters so I can roll it around my garage.

The only thing I'm waiting on are my burners (Bayou Classic, SQ 14). Can you guys take a look at my setup and let me know what else I might need?

Thanks,
Scott

photo.jpg

Do you have tubing to go from your mash tun to the kettle? I'm guessing you do, if you don't you may want to get a 'thicker' tubing. The standard Home Depot stuff is fine (3/8th or whatever your spigot is) but I found that it warms up and bends a bit and sometimes causes my wort to stop draining. No biggie, just unkink it.

But for a few cents more you can get one that has a bigger outer diameter that won't bend under the heat of the wort.

Again, very small detail. Just something I wish I did when I started AG.

I'm guessing you have a digital thermometer. Being paranoid, I have two. The reason being changing mash temps by 15 degrees will change your beer. It won't ruin it, just change it. I brew with a friend and we both threw our thermometers in the water we were heating to start and they were 20 degrees off (150, and 130). No problem I have a candy thermometer I'll test with that, it's glass, I'm sure it's right. It read 170. Awesome....

So we boiled water (212 for sure) and then both digitals and the candy and synced up. Tested our water for the brew, 170. Um, ok... let 'er rip!

Anyways, just something to think about. Good luck!

Have you thought of the height for the propane burners? It looks like your positioning might have to change.

Also you might need something to protect the wood from the heat of the burners. Maybe a sheet of cement board.

Make sure you get a water report for your water. Not all water is made the same.

Luckily I have cement board to protect the wood for when my burners come in. The shelves are from Lowe's and are adjustable to accomodate the burner heights.

My digital thermometer is also on the way as well. How many brews can I expect to get from a full propane tank? Also, is there any fast cleanup methods that would help me break everything down faster?

I Have plumbing in the HLT and a circular SS braid within the MLT. Should I also add the same plumbing to the brew kettle or do I add something else?

As always, any input is greatly appreciated.

thanks

Scott

For propane id sort of depends on your burner and how many BTUs it puts out. You see stores selling these huge BTU burners, "get to boil FAST!".. great.. and use a tank each time!

I would say I get about 5 to 8 batches done per tank, and I do normally do 10 gallon batches. And I live in New Hampshire (colder climate?). In the winter it's probably 5, in the summer it's probably 8 since I brew outside. Somewhere in that range. What I do is I bought a tank for brewing and have a tank for BBQing. When the brewing one dies I use the BBQ one and get the brewing one filled that day. So unless they both die I'm good.

Although now I brew with a friend so I have my tank, his tank, and the BBQ. So really all 3 would have to die at the same time.

Back