black black raspberry and strawberry Wheat split-batch success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ftlstrings

Reaction score
Strawberry Wheat
Brew Type: All Grain Date: 6/29/2008
Style: American Wheat or Rye Beer Brewer: Two Cans Brewery
Batch Size: 11.00 gal Assistant Brewer:
Boil Volume: 13.44 gal Boil Time: 60 min
Brewhouse Efficiency: 77.0 % Equipment: 2.5 vessel Electric AG 15 gallon rig.
Actual Efficiency: 80.5 %

Taste Rating (50 possible points): 35.0
tasted the strawberry wheat with strawberries on for 1-2 weeks prior to straining off and bottling. yum. Lightly fruity with minimal sweetness. for me, a very nice balance for a fruit beer. strawberries used had a notable tartness present that carried over to the beer.

Ingredients Amount Item Type % or IBU
9.00 lb Pale Malt (6 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 47.4 %
9.00 lb Wheat - Red Malt (Briess) (2.3 SRM) Grain 47.4 %
1.00 lb Caramel Malt - 20L (Briess) (20.0 SRM) Grain 5.3 %
1.50 oz Perle pellets [8.20%] (75 min) Hops 22.2 IBU
0.50 oz Perle pellets [8.20%] (45 min) Hops 6.5 IBU
2 Pkgs Wheat yeast (DCL Yeast #WB-06) Yeast-Ale

Beer Profile Estimated Original Gravity: 1.048 SG (1.040-1.055 SG) Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.014 SG (1.008-1.013 SG) Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Color: 4.7 SRM (3.0-6.0 SRM) Color [Color]
Bitterness: 28.7 IBU (15.0-30.0 IBU) Alpha Acid Units: 1.5 AAU
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 4.4 % (4.0-5.5 %) Actual Alcohol by Volume: 5.2 %
Actual Calories: 220 cal/pint

Mash Profile Name: Single Infusion, Light Body Mash Tun Weight: 40.00 lb
Mash Grain Weight: 19.00 lb Mash PH: 5.4 PH
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Sparge Water: 6.61 gal Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE

Name Description Step Temp Step Time
Mash In Add 23.75 qt of water at 169.8 F 150.0 F 75 min
Mash Out Add 13.68 qt of water at 211.5 F 168.0 F 10 min

Mash Notes
Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Carbonation Volumes: 2.4 (2.3-2.6 vols)
Estimated Priming Weight: 6.0 oz Temperature at Bottling: 43.0 F
Primer Used: 12 Age for: 1.0 Weeks
Storage Temperature: 40.0 F

Notes
After 14 days in primary I racked half onto ~6 lbs fresh picked/frozen strawberries. Other half remained in separate vessel (im busy, and maybe lazy too sometimes) until all was ready to keg/bottle. Black black rasp was kegged and had fruit extract added to taste. Strawberry was seived to remove strawberry chunks and then sat until i was ready to bottle.

woah. that looks like crap. sorry for that. I had to cut and paste from beersmith since I couldn't get the tricks to "export as" to work.

Basically what happened here is that I brewed the beer above as is, while simultaneously cold brewing 1 lb of Caraffa 3 in ~3/4 gallon water. Once cool, I transferred 1/2 of the beer to an 8 gallon bucket (to later become strawberry wheat) and the other half of the beer I combined with the Caraffa juice and transferred to a 6 gallon carboy. This was to become my black black raspberry and it was dark as sin.

After primary I sent 5-6 lbs fresh picked then frozen berries into the 8 gallon brew bucket to do their thing and waited 1-2 weeks for things to finish up there.

Just used the theif to get some readings on the strawberry and it finished up at 1.010. Nice and dry, lightly tart and not overly sweet (e.g. ShockTop Rasp Wheat, yuck).

I was very pleased with this beer overall, after being worried that this was going to end up too sweet for me to drink. As is, it seems to be a nice summer beer.

~M~

Btw, beautiful cloudy pink color to the strawberry wheat. Pics once I get some out of the bottles.

I am doing a ten gallon wheat Monday if not Sunday after church. I have done several fruits, I have zest and juice from 5 large lemons frozen ready for one of the 5 gallon secondaries. I am thinking lemon/strawberries now. The other I may go with the raspberry (I don't know if I can get black raspberries though).

Lemons, strawberries and raspberries, oh my! Be the first time that I have ever used any of those fruits,thanks for the post. I needed that as I am only half way through my two 50 lb bags of grain.

Wouldn't the seeds stay down in the trub while racking though? Never done berries as I stated.

Here is to the sucess of your wheat beers.:mug:

Update! The Lemon/Strawberries is going to be great. I had to suck a little out as the secondary fermenter lock was brown. I used a thief and received a small taste. Wow, just wow, lemons pretty prominent, the strawberries there but not as much (I didn't freeze the strawberries). Only used 5 lemons with the zest, and one small box of strawberries. I like all natural stuff and like to keep the cost down, freezing gets more flavor with less fruit. Second fermenter is getting one can of pumpkin pie filling, Son in Law requested....what can I say, I am a people pleaser.

Back