Carbed after 4 days?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hooty

Reaction score
I bottled my first batch a few hours before the Super Bowl. It was a brown ale from an extract kit and it was in the primary for 4 weeks. I never could get my FG down to where it was supposed to be (1.012). It stalled out at 1.024. I swirled it and then moved it to a warmer room and it dropped to 1.020 and then remained at 1.020 for 4 or 5 days. I decided to bottle it and move on. My batch was 4.5 gallons and I used 4 ounces of priming sugar. So tonight I stuck one in the frig for 2 hours and then opened it out of curiousity. To my surprise it made the sound that a carbed beer makes when you open it. Could my beer already be somewhat carbed? Is it still fermenting in the bottles and should I expect some bottle bombs? I moved them to a safe place just in case. They've been stored at 64 degrees.
thanks

There will be some carbonation at 4 days but it does take a while for full carbonation and most importantly it takes a while for the flavors to improve in the bottle. You are taking the yeast through another fermentation cycle when you add the priming sugar. It will take a little bit longer at 64F compared to 70F. I wouldn't expect bottle bombs unless you added too much priming sugar (you didn't) or if you got an infection during the bottling process.

Don't worry too much about the final gravity reading. What was your starting gravity?

There will be some carbonation at 4 days but it does take a while for full carbonation and most importantly it takes a while for the flavors to improve in the bottle. You are taking the yeast through another fermentation cycle when you add the priming sugar. It will take a little bit longer at 64F compared to 70F. I wouldn't expect bottle bombs unless you added too much priming sugar (you didn't) or if you got an infection during the bottling process.

Don't worry too much about the final gravity reading. What was your starting gravity?

I forgot to take it. According to the kit it should have been around 1.045 I believe. Would the fact that I only have 4.5 gallons instead of 5 cause my gravity to be a little higher?

Latest posts

Back