MLT leakage problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukebrewer

Brew the brew!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My MLT has developed a very small leak and since everything is closed right now due to the holiday, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a quick fix on that? The leak is really small (less than a qt over the course of a mash and sparge), so I can still use it if I can't fix it, but I will have to compensate with a little extra grain. Thanks.

-AJ

It's leaking from the bulkhead fitting, but I didn't do a conversion on it. I use the steel mesh and siphon tube lautering method. The cooler is a 70 qt igloo max cold. Thanks.

-AJ

I fixed the problem. One of the plastic gaskets in the bulkhead fitting assembly was broken allowing leakage to get past. While I don't have an extra gasket laying around, I was able to find an o-ring that fit and added that to the assembly. I also assembled it backwards (i.e. threads coming out of the cooler). I just put a typical mash volume of water in the cooler and am happy to report no leaks. I am going to let the water sit in there over night and if there are still no leaks I am going to call it good. Thanks for the reply, Grizzly.

Good to hear! That was going to be my only suggestion. I've used plastic o-rings in both of my MT's for the past year and haven't had to replace either of them. I know they are not specifically heat-rated, but they seem to hold up all right. Happy Brewing!

Back