1st batch question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtbikefish53

Reaction score
Hi, I just racked my first batch into my secondary fermenter. I looked at the leftovers in my primary and see some bubbling yet (fermentation?) Bad idea to go back into the primary for few more days or not? Or is that normal. I really don't want to screw up my first batch. Thanks for the help!

If the batch has been in the primary for a week or so and if the airlock activity was pretty low when you racked it, you're probably alright from what I've learned. A little activity in the secondary is okay. You just want to make sure most of the fermentation was complete before racking to the secondary.

A little bubbling in the secondary is nothing to worry about, sometimes the yeast get stirred up again a bit. I wouldn't go back into the primary as there really isn't any reason to, whatever fermentation is still going on can do its thing in the secondary just as well.

From my experience there will always be some activity in the secondary. I am still a beginner, BUT, I have realized the importance of time with beer. I already dont like to "depend" on a hydrometer, although I still use it. Here's what I do:

When my "bubbling" gets to about 1 per minute or more I rack to secondary. WThere is always some post fermentation that happens. FOR ME it seems like 1.5 weeks in primary without a starter (3 days to start normal activity and a week of fermenting, but I only do beers above 6%, more like 7-8) then I usually do 2 weeks in the secondary and i'm QUICKLY finding 3-4 weeks kegged makes GREAT beer. Just my 2c from a begginner myself! BTW, if you are adding it up, that makes 7 weeks before I tap it! Hence I just odered 4 more cornies to make 6!

Latest posts

Back