Skunk Attack!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheaton

Reaction score
So today is my b-day, and last night myself and SWMBO went to the in-laws house for a steak dinner. Father-in-law had bought a Czech lager (Czechvar). Though I drank it (because when f-in-law buys you special beer you drink it!), and I could tell it was quality when it was done aging, it had a skunky characteristic. I think it had been sitting on the store shelf for a while and was in green bottles. Is it possible that this beer just tastes like that? Or is it more likely that there was some actual skunking going on? I have to say, it did somewhat remind me of Moosehead lager.

I have had Czechvar a number of time and have never noted any skunking in the profile.

Old Speckled Hen however, everytime.

Interesting. I think it was truely skunked. I see some people review it and say it had a skunky characteristic and some don't. I suspect that it all depends on how long its been sitting on the shelf you buy it from. Its been a long time since I had old speckled hen, and I have always had from the tap (at pubs in UK). Can't really remember that beer. Either way, I'm not a big lager drinker so I didn't know if this was normal for some lagers or not.

The aroma and flavor of skunkiness is unmistakeable. UV wavelengths + free isomerized alpha acids = awful.

If it's in a green bottle and they didn't use tetrahops (or some similar hop extract that is chemically altered such that it doesn't skunk...like Miller uses) then it's just a matter of chance whether it actually gets skunked before you drink it. Some will...some won't.

I used to drink "Budvar" when living in Germany. I would sometimes pick up a "skunky" flavor or aroma, but I think the hop profile somehow confuses the pallet with this type of beer. Just a theory. After all, Germany is CLOSE to the source for this beer, there shouldn't be time for the green bottles to have effect (especially considering the other packaging such as crates). Either way, for one hell of a great beer, there does seem to be a "skunky" aspect to it at times. But by Budvar #2, it's all wonderful....

After all, Germany is CLOSE to the source for this beer, there shouldn't be time for the green bottles to have effect

Time isn't as much of a factor as you'd think. With reasonably high levels of UV in direct sunlight, a beer can skunk in a matter of seconds. Under fluorescent lighting, it's a matter of hours.

Time isn't as much of a factor as you'd think. With reasonably high levels of UV in direct sunlight, a beer can skunk in a matter of seconds. Under fluorescent lighting, it's a matter of hours.

I took a gravity reading from the fermenter once, and had the sample on the counter for a few minutes. After reading I took a drink and the skunk was very noticeable. in full sun, it's that fast. In strong sunlight, or in florescent lights over time, it will go that route.

However, it really does seem to be related to SRM. There's an article in the Sept/October 2009 issue of Zymurgy by Ray Daniels that goes into this. Pale beers are the most susceptible to skunking.

However, it really does seem to be related to SRM. There's an article in the Sept/October 2009 issue of Zymurgy by Ray Daniels that goes into this. Pale beers are the most susceptible to skunking.

I guess I always just assumed that. Makes sense, light penetrating deeper into the beer means more beer exposed to light, which should mean easier skunking, right? Or did he have a more detailed/scientific explaination?

A podcast I listened to reported that that as little as 4-9 nanoliters is all it takes to be noticeable by most people. That is an amazingly small amount.

Here's an excerpt from the article:

For the reaction to take place, several elements must be present, namely:

• Visible light with wavelengths in the range of 350 - 500 nm.
  • Riboflavin (vitamin b2), which comes from yeast during fermentation
  • Isohumulones, which are hop alpha acids isomerized during the boil
  • Sulfur from cystene or methinonine, amino acids that come to beer from protein in malt

With all of these elements present, light reacts with riboflavin initiating reactions that break bonds in the isohumulones and allow combination with sulfur from the amino acid. In the end, beer contains methylbut-2-ene-1-thiol, sometimes referred to as MBT. This thiol-containing compound (also known as a mercaptan) gives beer the skunky light-struck aroma.

The reaction occurs rapidly and pale beer acquires a noticeable skunky character in a few minutes when exposed to the right light. Sunlight and flourescent light both contain high levels of the bad wavelengths. Regular tungsten filament or incandescent lights don't have enough energy in this range to worry about.

Note, however, that I specified pale beer. A clear, straw-colored beer lets light pass right through it, exposing every ounce to its various wavelengths. But dark beers are different. Have you ever smelled a skunky stout? I haven't - and many contain plenty of isohumulones. Their dark color prevents light from penetrating into the beers and exposing the IBUs to destruction.

Latest posts

Back