Anyone else here HATE Weiss

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moose777

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have loved almost every batch I have brewed except..
Honey Weizen and Lemon Coriander weiss.

I hate the way these beer taste..kinda gamey and raw...I have thrown out most of the honey weisen and the lemon coriander weiss is in the keg but so far tastes nastey,,

For the time being, I'm not buying any more of those types of beers.

Try buying a single bottle of a good commercial weiss to see if you really hate the style or just hate what you brewed. And then there's always dunkel-weiss.

-OCD

You might find this discussion in here interesting.

A lot of people, including myself have an almost gag reflex to too much wheat in recipes. I'm Ok with a couple pounds or low percentage in a grainbill...I've been experimenting to see how much I can tolerate in a beer before it gets to the yuck point.

This thread turned into a bot of a discussion on that...perhaps you too can only tolerate a certain percentage of wheat in a beer as well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/what-styles-can-you-not-drink-115617/

We started getting into that issue after this post here. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/1283533-post98.html

I love hefeweizens. My Bavarian Hefe has 7 pounds of wheat malt which is 63% of the grain bill. The rest is Pils. Nothing else, no honey, no fruit, no spice needed.

I like a good German-style weissbier, but I usually can only drink 1 or 2 in a sitting. I am not sure what it is about them, but after 2 they start to make me sick.

I love hefeweizens. My Bavarian Hefe has 7 pounds of wheat malt which is 63% of the grain bill. The rest is Pils. Nothing else, no honey, no fruit, no spice needed.
Klingt gut. Just the way I like it. A little noble hop and you're on your way to a tall glass of Bavarian water.

I love me some wheat beers.

I have a cherry wheat, an American wheat, and a Wessienbock in the keg, and two other wheat beers in primary.

I drank about two gallons of my American Hefe at a birthday party last night. So now, I am drinking water...

:mug:

I love hefe very much, as I do most all wheat beers (they are probably my favorites). Right now I'm drinking a witbier which is fantastic!

Bavarian Hefeweizen, Belgian Witbier, Roggenbier (mostly rye but a hefty percentage of wheat), Berliner Weiss and Dunkelweiss - love 'em all, especially Witbier.

American Wheats are generally meh to my palate.

Coriander sometimes has a meaty/gamey flavor but wheat doesnt add those flavors. Wheat is fairly neutral, maybe a little sweet and bready. My guess is the the flavors you dont like are caused by the yeast strain or other ingredients you used.

Coriander sometimes has a meaty/gamey flavor but wheat doesnt add those flavors. Wheat is fairly neutral, maybe a little sweet and bready. My guess is the the flavors you dont like are caused by the yeast strain or other ingredients you used.

I think you're probably right..part of learning I guess. In comparison I have loved most all the other beers I have brewed.. for instance the english brown ale I have kegged now is fantastic.

Maybe these two batches are just screwed up? I've never brewed wheat beer with honey and/or spices and but I think its easy to go over-the-top with additives. A good bavarian hefe doesn't need anything like that.
My advice would be to get a friend or fellow home brewer that likes and knows wheat beers to taste yours and see what he/she says.

Havent found a wheat beer of any kind that I like. And I try every one I can. Yea something about them just taste like grass or something.
Same with scottish style. every one I have ever tried all have that same rotten meat like taste some where in it.

I like some wheat beers, not others. I like Wit, but not if it's too tart. I like Oberon, but I had some other wheat beer the other day that was just nasty tasting to me. Not sure what the difference is in them yet, but I think it may be the yeast or temps that make one nicht gut fur mich.

I don't like wheat beers as a rule. I did enjoy a watermelon wheat when it was hot (two days this summer, it was over 80 degrees up here) but I made it primarily for my friend.

I just don't like the taste of the wheat in beer. I don't like fruit in beer, and I don't like "spices" in beer. I can't stand wits. Otherwise, I like all other beers.

I like some wheat beers, not others. I like Wit, but not if it's too tart. I like Oberon, but I had some other wheat beer the other day that was just nasty tasting to me. Not sure what the difference is in them yet, but I think it may be the yeast or temps that make one nicht gut fur mich.

I have never had a beer fluctuate in quality as much as Bells Oberon. Sometimes is a great refreshing beer, other times just bland and lacking. Must be easily effected by transport or something... I wont buy it anymore for this reason, its too much of a crap shoot.

I'm not crazy about any German wheat/rye if it's huge on banana. Get it balanced or even more towards clove and I'm all over it.

I like wheats, especially the Bavarian style, I'm not very found of the American style though, I find them too bland. They are not my favorite style in general, I'd pass any style of wheat for a good Brown Porter.

For all of those people who have made wheat beers and do not care for them, please send them directly to me for disposal. Hell, I may even pay for the shipping.

I love 'em. But then again I can't stand hoppy beers. If we all liked the same thing the world would be a pretty boring place don'tcha think.;)

I'm sorta new to homebrewing and ales in general. I like a couple hefe's, like Shiner's...so I decided to make a simple one, then a Beligian White...god I hate them.

My wife claims to like them, but I've got 10 gallons of gut-rot laying around that I'm giving away to anyway who claims to like this stuff. To me, it tastes like smoked oysters. I thought I screwed up the brew until I was at a restuarant and tried a Chimay and it had the exact taste of my homebrew. Experiment over for me.

Love wheat beers, well pretty much love anything but BMC. Paticularly like bells oberon, and just started drinking a honey weiss I brewed and think it is fantastic. I love hoppy brews too, last night I just started a new tour at Old Chicago and started it off with Summit Red horizon, Bells Two Hearted, and a Surly Ferious, mmm hops.

Love Wheats.

I ferment around 65 and don't have any big banana or clove esters present in bavarians and the sourness of belgians is just slight. My american wheats I ferment at 62 and use Kolsch yeast. But hell what do I know

It's not that I don't like wheat in beer. It's that banana and clove the the hefe yeast gives. Instant gag.

If a Chimay tasted like your wheat beer, something certainly went wrong.

I was thinking the same thing. A Chimay is definitely not a wheat. That said, I shall reiterate my previous statement and implore anyone who hates their beer to send it to me. I will send your fermenter back one I have bottled the beer. I might even clean it.

I love them too. I'm thinking of putting orange rinds in the secondary of a 60% wheat Bavarian I started. I'm having a party to share 5 Gallons with my friends, so I'll have a small sample population to estimate what percentage dislike wheat in beer. Do you think adding a orange twist will make it more like Bell's Oberon, and make the wheat taste more tolerable?

wheat is for flour and bread
please keep it out of the kettel

i can drink about 1 or 2 wheat beers before i will drink a high life over a third nast raw cloudy stinky wheat beer. no beers should need a citrus fruit tray to acompany it make it drinkable.

I hate this Weis

charlieweisisfat.jpg

But I'm a big fan of wheat beers. They tend to be easy to drink during the Texas summer, which lasts from March until November.

Try a Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier (try saying it a bunch of times quickly too).

If you don't like it, then there may be something wrong with you. :D

Back