Fermentation Restarted.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lnxusr

Reaction score
I brewed an Irish Red two weeks ago (first brew without Mr. Beer). I was planing on bottling today but the darn thing started fermenting again. It's been quiet since the third day or so, but Friday, the airlock started bubbling again. Nowhere near where it was during fermentation, but a good sized bubble every couple of seconds. Today, it's blowing a small bubble around every five to ten seconds or so. SG is at 1.016.

Should I wait till it stops bubbling again and check for constant SG three days in a row, or will it be OK to check the next two days and bottle if constant?

On another note, the lid on the bucket is hard to get off even with the removal tool. What do you think about this screw on lid? I think it would make it much easier to open up to check the SG.

What is the recipe and what was your OG?

Bubbling doesn't mean much, per se. Sometimes bubbles come up from gasses trapped in the trub, coming out of suspension, etc. I bottled my hefe while it was still "bubbling" but it's all about the gravity.

What's your expected target gravity? If you're close, check for a few days in a row, regardless of bubble activity.

The bubbling could be outgassing or it could be fermentation. Gravity readings are the only true way to tell. Just wait a couple days and take another gravity reading, if its still at 1.016 then its safe to bottle.
Those lids seem a bit overkill, when I open my buckets by hand I pry the lid to break the seal move over a few inches and repeat. Once you are about 2/3 to 3/4 around it will come right off.

Recipe is Midwests Irish Red Ale. OG was 1.048 and, according to BeerSmith, FG is estimated at 1.010.

Is .006 considered close in the brewing world? The actual OG was .006 higher than what BeerSmith estimated as well.

I haven't brewed enough to speak for the brewing world, but I've bottled batches that were .008 off the expected final gravity without any problems (i.e. bottle bombs). There are lots of factors that could throw off what is expected from what is experienced.

Stick to the science and you'll be fine: actual gravity readings are the way to go.

Thanks guys. I checked yesterday and today and SG was steady at 1.016. I bottled it up this afternoon. I put the bottles in a couple of coolers and locked the lids down to contain the mess if there's a blowout..

The lid seemed to be easier to get off each time. I don't know if it's getting broken in or if I'm just getting the hang of removing it.

Now the hard part... Waiting.

I went to a Kwal paint store asnd got a 5 gallon paint bucket opening tool.

Back