Carafoam?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhall

Reaction score
Hi, I can't understand the definition of the use of carafoam:

"Carafoam (also called Carapils) adds body and head retention without substantially altering flavor. Up to 10% for light beers, 40% for mashed:confused: beers"

What is the definition of a mashed beer? :confused:

This sentence is from Beersmith...

It is a dextrin malt and has no diastatic power. Since the primary complex sugar you get from dextrin malts (malto dextrin) is not fermentable, steeping does the job. You can steep Carafoam in small amounts, and use up to 40% in a mash. (I suspect that's all they mean by 'mashed beer')

Just like to point out that, while both fall under the "dextrine malt" heading, Carapils and Carafoam are not the same thing. Carapils is produced by Briess and is similar to (if not technically) a crystal malt. My understanding is that Carafoam (Weyermann) is more of a slightly undermodified malt that contains unconverted starches and probably should be mashed, while Carapils can be steeped or mashed. The fact that Palmer uses "dextrine malt" and "Carapils" interchangably perpetuates the misconception that they're the same thing.

Back