Any canned venison recipes out there?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2grit

Reaction score
I'm going to be canning some venison this year. I haven't canned in a number of years and I want to get more creative with my recipes. I'm not looking for canning times, just ingredients and amounts of what people add to the jars for flavor. Thanks for your input.

I go simple. Cut up the venison into stew-sized chunks, add 1/4 of an onion and a dash of salt. Process.

I do this raw, and then processing makes the juices into a gravy.

Then, when I want to serve, I just put it into a pan and add some sour cream for stroganoff. I served it over noodles for my kids, and it was their favorite food growing up.

Sometimes I use the jars for chili or "pulled pork", as the meat falls apart easily when reheating.

Venison stroganof and minced meat pie sounds like a winner for a cold winter's eve.

All great ideas. I have read a LOT about people using the canned venison for stroganoff. My wife makes a killer stroganoff from deer loin, so, I look forward to trying this version

I have had venison mince meat pie. Are you talking about something else?

Yes, that is what I mean. I had some given to me recently from one of the deer taken off my farm. That is what made me think of it. It makes good turn overs too. I remember when it was pretty common to see canned mince meat in pantries.

I end up with a ton of venison. I try to discourage hunters from giving it to me to no avail. I have to do damage control anyway and I pass up quite a few of them. I'll give away whole field dressed deer fairly often.

Remove all fat from your canning meat. Cut your deer into stew size chunks. Pack tightly into the jars. Ad 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of salt for a quart size jar. Add 1 clove of garlic. Process in a pressure canner according to their wild meat recommendation. When done it is ready to eat as is. You don't need to reheat if you want to eat directly out of the jar.

Anyone sear their meat prior to canning? I've made some chili with canned venison and while it was good, I would have preferred if the chunks stayed together better.

One thing about canning venison. ... it takes almost all of the "gaminess" out, so it might be something to consider if you have a picky Eater who doesn't like venison. Then again, I have found that a lot of this gaminess comes from the handling of the animal and not so much the meat itself.

Anyone sear their meat prior to canning? I've made some chili with canned venison and while it was good, I would have preferred if the chunks stayed together better.

One thing about canning venison. ... it takes almost all of the "gaminess" out, so it might be something to consider if you have a picky Eater who doesn't like venison. Then again, I have found that a lot of this gaminess comes from the handling of the animal and not so much the meat itself.

You are absolutely right about the gaminess. I process deer professionally, plus I eat venison literally 365 days a year. It has zero gamey flavor to it because I cool the carcass fast. Period. It's amazing how many people think that venison is gamey just because it's venison.

You are absolutely right about the gaminess. I process deer professionally, plus I eat venison literally 365 days a year. It has zero gamey flavor to it because I cool the carcass fast. Period. It's amazing how many people think that venison is gamey just because it's venison.

Yep. I have insulated game bags (Trophy Bag Kooler) that I immediately put my deer into after making a kill. I pack the cavity with ice to get it cooled as quickly as possible.

I also get it cut and in the freezer asap.

Growing up, we always just threw our deer into the back of a pickup where they would sit for the entire weekend, and then they would hang in an unheated shop for a few days. We also had someone else do the processing, who most likely did gang processing. It was always gamy.

When I started doing my own, it wasn't gamy. I had gotten the kooler when I took up bow hunting since that season starts when it is warmer.

I've heard some conflicting reports on aging of venison. I've heard that venison lacks the proper compounds to age, and also that aging makes it better provided you keep it at a consistent temperature. Lacking the facilities to attempt aging on my own, I can't say for sure which is true. I do know that my venison that I immediately cool and process had been much better than the "barn Aged" venison we had growing up.

If a steer or a hog was treated the way some people treat there venison, they wouldn't eat it. When I go hunting I have heavy duty garbage bags with me that I fill with ice when I harvest a deer. I stuff them in the cavity ASAP. Aging has never been a problem if it is done at a refrigeration temperature for a week or less.

I have seen people drag their deer to the nearest creek to wash it out and dry it with leaves.

If a steer or a hog was treated the way some people treat there venison, they wouldn't eat it. When I go hunting I have heavy duty garbage bags with me that I fill with ice when I harvest a deer. I stuff them in the cavity ASAP. Aging has never been a problem if it is done at a refrigeration temperature for a week or less.

I have seen people drag their deer to the nearest creek to wash it out and dry it with leaves.

WOW!!! Your first line about treating venison like hogs and beef had my name written all over it. I have quoted that exact line hundreds of times. Nice to see others that "get it"

Yep. I have insulated game bags (Trophy Bag Kooler) that I immediately put my deer into after making a kill. I pack the cavity with ice to get it cooled as quickly as possible.

I also get it cut and in the freezer asap.

Growing up, we always just threw our deer into the back of a pickup where they would sit for the entire weekend, and then they would hang in an unheated shop for a few days. We also had someone else do the processing, who most likely did gang processing. It was always gamy.

When I started doing my own, it wasn't gamy. I had gotten the kooler when I took up bow hunting since that season starts when it is warmer.

I've heard some conflicting reports on aging of venison. I've heard that venison lacks the proper compounds to age, and also that aging makes it better provided you keep it at a consistent temperature. Lacking the facilities to attempt aging on my own, I can't say for sure which is true. I do know that my venison that I immediately cool and process had been much better than the "barn Aged" venison we had growing up.

Here is something I stumbled upon quite by accident when it comes to aging. First of all, never age a deer hanging on a hook. Always cut them as soon as possible after cooling. The important part is vacuum packing. By accident, I left a deer loin in my fridge for 2 weeks, forgetting it was there. I thought I had ruined it. It wasn't only still good, it was amazing. I purposely age the venison now in the fridge, in it's vacuum packaging, for 3 weeks before eating it. Don't attempt this with any other method of packaging.

KISS. That is my method for deer canning. I process all of the cuts I want, Backstraps, fish eyes, steaks, and roasts.
Everything else gets chunked into 1/2 in cubes.
Into pint jars, (cleaned and boiled) with a bit of boiling h2o, a clove of garlic, and 1/2 tsp of canning salt (a little goes a long way).
Sometime a 1/2 tsp of Badia sasson seasoning.
In the canner for 1:15 at 10 lbs.
allow to completly cool before moving around.
You are GTG for some time.

My dad and I built as walk in cooler at his house so we age our deer for a week at 38 degrees. We butcher our own. Steaks, roasts, loin and burger. Canning in normally reserved for the year old meat in the freezer from last season. Liberal bonus does here. Don't get too fancy with it though, maybe some garlic or season salt. My buddy's wife canned some ground meat with taco seasoning and that was killer! If you try it lemme know how you like it

My dad and I built as walk in cooler at his house so we age our deer for a week at 38 degrees. We butcher our own. Steaks, roasts, loin and burger. Canning in normally reserved for the year old meat in the freezer from last season. Liberal bonus does here. Don't get too fancy with it though, maybe some garlic or season salt. My buddy's wife canned some ground meat with taco seasoning and that was killer! If you try it lemme know how you like it

You gave me an idea and I'll let you know how it works. I'm going to try a batch by grinding through my largest plate(1/2") rather than cut in chunks. I think it will load into the jars easier and make it easier to get all the air out. I'll post after trying it and let you know how it goes. BTW, I've already made several batches, trying different flavorings. I'll post my favorites when the time comes. I'm going through it pretty fast. Thanks for the post and the idea. I think it's going to work out

Latest posts

Back