<50% Sorghum recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jman

Reaction score
I'm trying to come up with a light lager recipe without much sorghum flavor.
i've been thinking about something like this:

44% Sorghum
22% Brown rice syrup
11% Instant rice
11% Flaked corn
7% Maltodextrine
5% Buckwheat, lightly roasted

maybe some Santiam hops and saflager s23, holding at around 55deg.

while ive used sorghum and BRS in the past, i've never really brewed with flaked corn or instant rice in the past. is using the rice and the BRS being redundant? does this have too many things going on? i've got an itch to experiment with some new stuff, so any help is appreciated.

cheers!

What are you using to convert the instant rice and the buckwheat?

thats part of what i was wondering, i guess. im not too concerned with the buckwheat, as i'm just using that for a little bit of color/flavor, but obviously i'd want the rice to convert.

does minute rice convert itself? does it look like i'll need to pick up some amalyse? (my local homebrew shop doest carry this)

I don't believe minute rice or flaked corn will convert themselves, I think they need to be mashed with something that will convert them...

You could use honey as another source of sugars...

Yeah you'd something with the diastatic power of 2-row to convert the rice. Otherwise, they'll add little to no sugars to the wort

ok, so i picked up some amylase and would like to move forward with this. however, i've never used it before and have some questions.

do i mash the corn, rice, and buckwheat (and rice hulls) at about 150 with the amylase? should i hold it at that temp for 2 hours? (i know how to check that conversion is done). then after conversion is complete, i lauter and add my BRS and sorghum?

sorry about these questions. besides a few sorghum extract beers, i've never done anything besides all-grain brewing and have missed out on some of these techniques.

really really appreciate any help thats (been) given. thanks!

Latest posts

Back