High temperature yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yunus

Reaction score
Is there any kind of yeast that will ferment in a high temperature environment. Around 90f or so. I'm getting ready to go to the Sandbox for the military and want to make some stuff while I'm there. Storing a bottle for weeks on end in a constant temperature below 75f may be difficult. While I would like it to taste as good as I can make it, taste is secondary. So as long as it would be a yeast that would be safe to drink I would try it.

If you want to make wine, wine yeasts do much better at high temperatures. You could do an apple wine, or a grape juice wine, etc. As long as you have 100% juice with no sorbate (preservative) added, it'll ferment. Pasteur champange yeast ferments best at 59-86 degrees, and premier cuvee ferments best at under 95 degrees. There are others, too, but they all do fine over 80 degrees. I can't think of a way to do beer when it's that hot!

I was actually thinking of making Edworts ?Applewefn? (spelling, I'm not good at it)so I think using wine yeast would work well with that. 565 also sounds like a winner. I can put the fermenter in an air conditioned area for a day or 2 but trying to leave it there for a couple weeks and the smell would cause problems. The most likely problem being my co-workers would smell alcohol and probably drink it right away before its ready. I'll look into these more, thanks for the suggestions.

I was also thinking of trying the turbo yeast with that, my theory in thinking about using it was that if its a super powerful yeast at regular temperatures than maybe it would have a better chance of doing anything at high temperatures. Are there any dangers in using turbo yeast that is designed for stilling? I have searched it on this board and find only locked threads regarding hooch but I'm not attempting to make that. I'm really wondering if its dangerous to use Turbo yeast, like will I go blind?

No, it wouldn't be dangerous, but might taste like ****. You'd have fusel alcohols, etc, anyway from such a hot ferment. That turbo yeast is designed for a quick hot ferment, but then it's distilled and filtered.

You'd be better off with a regular wine yeast.

Back