Hops root system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dpt222

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone with direct experience can shed some light on this. I was wondering what the life cycle of the root system is like.

How much does the rhizome expand? I assume the root system grows horizontally (or do they grow vertically?) , but how much do they expand from the original rhizome?

I read it is recommended to plant 2-3 feet apart. Can different strains then be grown right next to each other without their root system becoming entangled?

One last question, how long (in years) do they produce? Thanks!

1. they grow both, the horizontal will make 2-3ft while vertical can go -15ft

2 the 2-3 ft distance is for like plants if you use different cultivars it grows to 5 ft spacing

3. commercially is 10- or less depending on type for max production. however some rootstock has been documented to 50 yrs

Last year I ordered a Willamette rhizome and planted it in a 3 gallon pot. I transfered it to a 5 gallon pot a few days ago to allow it to expand and the root ball was at least 1.5 ft wide. I was very impressed since I had done the same the previous year with a cascade and it had not grown quite as much.

Well I've managed to dig up this info from freshops.com

"Plant 1 rhizome per hill with the buds pointed up and cover with 1 inch of loose soil. Hills should be spaced at least 3 feet apart if the hills are of the same variety and 5 feet apart if they are different. " I think it is recommended that different varieties are 7 feet apart, but 5 will do if space is limited.

I have also read that the root systems get pretty extensive, one site mentioning their roots branching out 5-6 feet. Any other info is welcome!

The main concerns in spacing hops are tangling the bines as they grow, the sidearms can run 2-4 feet and being certain what comes up next year is what you planted. A very vigorous hop could put out roots into another plant's territory and take over the space. (My Fuggle & Cascades are real pains) Many home growers will cut around each plant in early sprint (about 1-2 feet out) & remove the extra roots. A really great idea is to sink a bottomless 5 gallon bucket around each plant to act as a barrier.

Most of the pros that drip irrigate have gone to a 3x14 spacing. Less hose and more working room between rows. They don't have to worry about mixing, as they never grow two varieties in the same field. Others use a 7x7 spacing.

I haven't seen anything on the dwarfs, yet.

Back