First lager attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malkore

Reaction score
Well I just pitched the s-23 into my first attempt at a lager.

i didn't want to pull my kegs out of the keezer, and the basement is barely 45F right now, so I'm sticking it in a spare room with no heat vent open, and that'll keep it in the upper 50's at least.

I know it may not be ideal, and that i'll get some esters or phenolics, but I just felt it was time to try out a lager strain. So some comparing of flavors and what not.

Its also only a 3 gallon batch...was showing my buddy how to brew from grain, and decided I'd keep it to 3 gallons since its a bit of an experiment.

I guess maybe me only question is, do you think I'll need a diacetyl rest, since my temperatures aren't gonna be in the low low 50's?
I'll still taste test it to see if it needs a rest, just trying to plan in advance a bit.

Good question. You will be fermenting in a temperature range many would use for a diacetyl rest. I think if you ferment 3-4 weeks your beer will naturally utilize the diacetyl and clean it up for you. Just taste it as you plan.

GT

S-23 should be fermented at 59F ideally.
It gets extremely estery at your temps.

thanks for the tidbits.

I actually moved it to the landing halfway down to the basement floor. At lunch it was about 57F. I'll keep tabs on it, and try to avoid the esters.

I'm pretty sure I've tasted diacetyl in my weizenbeir from last summer, so I think I can identify it in a lager.

Latest posts

Back