Seasoning to Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stlbasementbrewer

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with post fermentation additions to alter flavors? I.E. Cofee, Sugar, Hop teas, Fruit etc...... Let me know what you've tried and what works and doesn't. I havn't had any real flavor problems. All of my beers have been pretty good, but I want to be able to get exactly what was in my mind when I wrote the recipe. I've been wanting to start fine tuning my finished product with a little more precision and less chance. Any help or war stories would be greatly appreciated.

I've brewed coffee stouts before where I pitch liquid espresso into the beer at the beginning of the secondary fermentation. I used 32 oz of cold espresso for ten gallons, and it turned out great, the coffee was not overpowering at all. As for fruits there is a great book called "Designing great beers" that has a whole section about how much you should use for certain fruits.
hope this helps

Be EXTREMELY careful with spruce extract. I used 1 oz in a 10 gallon batch, per the directions on the bottle, and the flavor was overpowering. I think .25 oz would've been a better place to start.

For that matter, I think you ought to be careful when using any extract based flavorings. Start with a very small amount - you can always add more later.

Back