Bavarian Hefewiezen all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moski

Reaction score
What is the difference in the single infusion mash and the step mash version of NB All Grain kit. I love hefe and want to do this one well.

With the step process is conversion compromised by water additions to raise the temps? I have a 5gal Igloo tun I just put together that holds temps just great.

I've tried wheat with and without the protein rest too and really couldn't tell much difference. I've eliminated that step now to save a little time.

You might say that, for me, "The Rest is History"!

What is the difference in the single infusion mash and the step mash version of NB All Grain kit.

If the weyerman pilsner used in the kit is undermodified a protein rest at 122 (as proscribed by the recipe) will slightly increase the flavor/body of the finished beer. If weyerman pilsner is fully modified the protein rest at 122 will diminish body and head retention.

NB specifies weyermans floor malted pilsner is undermodified. They do not specify the degree of modification of the pilsner included in the kit.

If it was me, I would skip the protein rest but add a ferulic acid rest. An FA rest should increase the clove flavor (4-vinyl-guacal) , which is a flavor I really like in a hefe.

The info sheet says

TRADITIONAL MULTI STEP
Protein Rest: 122° F for 20 minutes
Beta Sacch’ Rest: 149° F for 30 minutes
Alpha Sacch’ Rest: 158 F for 30 minutes
Mashout: 170° F for 10 minutes

At what temp and how long would I do the ferulic acid rest assuming a I go with option B

MASH SCHEDULE: OPTION B
SINGLE INFUSION
Sacch’ Rest: 152° F for 60 minutes
Mashout: 170° F for 10 minutes

I also like the clove, and bananna background as well. I intend to go with the liquid Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat.

I also like the clove, and bananna background as well. I intend to go with the liquid Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Wheat.

Yes, that is a great yeast to go with. I have used that and compared it with WLP 300 (I think that is the number) and much favored Wyeast 3068. Have done it with fermentations temps at 62 and raising it to 68 near the end of fermentation and also fermented it straight at 66. Both came out nearly the same and both wonderful! Most of this beer flavor comes from the yeast, so it is most important.

I have. Caribou Slobber in primary right now that's holding at 66 in my 61 degree basement. I can get it colder closer to the coal cellar wall by maybe three degrees. More as it gets colder.

I wouldn't recommend the ferulic acid rest or a protein rest unless you are positive it is with floor malted pilsner. If it is well modified, the protein rest has already been accomplished by your maltster.

As far as ferulic, check this out for a side by side comparison:

Not a decisive experiment or anything, but I've found with Wyeast 3068 your lower temps between 64-68 give more clove and 67-70 more banana bread with a nice balance around 67-68.

I'd use those temps and pitch rate to alter flavor. (lower pitch will give you more banana as well. build a bigger starter to end up with almost exclusively clove character).

I've done ferulic and protein rest as well as decoctions. The only difference worth noting was with a protein rest. Doing a protein rest produced a clearer beer once it cold conditioned. It was closer to a kristallweizen, something I don't care for in wheat beers. I like them to be cloudy. The pitch rate and fermentation temperature have the most impact on flavor for my hefeweizens, so I focus most of my attention on those two things. I have one that's about ready to bottle. It's a 5 gallon batch that I pitched from a 1 gallon yeast starter and started fermentation at 62F. I slowly worked it up to 68F over 5 days. It has a nice sweet, spicy, and tart flavor I hadn't accomplished before with this recipe. It's like a mix of bananas, cloves, and granny smith apples. Delicious!. I have also under pitched with just one 3068 smack pack straight into the wort. Even with good temperature control, that one had way too much banana and bubble gum for my taste. But again, for me, step mashes and decoctions have had a negligible impact on taste.

I think I'll go with the single infusion schedule and a large starter. I've been a fan of stir plate starters and high end pitch rates since I started making Mead. My ferments go quicker and cleaner.

Thanks for all your replies.

Back