Half of batch skunky

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uniconfis

Reaction score
I brewed up a batch of Honey Bee Ale from kit I got from Midwest. I drank the last of this batch this last weekend and found that half of the bottles were pretty good and the other half were absolutely skunky in taste and aroma. Any ideas on what might cause half the batch to go bad?

Did they get skunkier as they aged? Or was it random...good bottles mixed with skunky?

Did you use he same kind of bottles for all the brew, and were they all stored in the same conditions?

Bike N Brew said:
Did they get skunkier as they aged? Or was it random...good bottles mixed with skunky?

Did you use he same kind of bottles for all the brew, and were they all stored in the same conditions?

The bottles were all the same and stored in the same box. The bottles are 20 oz swing top bottles. It was just random. I counted my beers from Saturday and out of 11 bottles 6 were good. One cause could possibly be the fact that I didn't replace the gaskets.

Skunky flavors in beer is caused by exposure to direct light. Brown bottles protect beer from the damaging light but green or clear bottles do not. I suspect that some of your beer was some how exposed to sun light
Explain your brewing/ beer storage process and maybe we can see something that is causing your skunky beer.

The bottle are brown and thick. After all of them were capped, they went straight into the box and put into the corner of by bedroom. There was no point in which the box was left open.

Back