Bottle Question for a Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reelseasick

Reaction score
Brewed a Pilsener 6 weeks ago. Kept @ 40* for 2 weeks. brought up to 67* for 2 days. dropped it back to 38* for 4 weeks. So to bottle...

Do I bring it up to room temp to bottle?
Do I drop it back to38* to bottle condition? How long will that take?

or

Bottle at room temp and store at room temp for 2 weeks to condition and then send to the fridge before drinking?

Thanks!:rockin:

Thanks. There is a lot of yeast still showing, so I will just prime, bottle and store at 67*.

Sounds great! Let me know how it turns out. I have yet to do a true lager but I will in the waning months of summer :) Oktoberfest and a Dopplebock. What type of lager is yours?

Also, Palmer's answer isn't the ONLY answer I am sure but a lot of people trust and reference his work. I wanted to give Papazian's advise as well but my Father has my hard copy and I knew Palmer has his work online to reference. If you haven't read the book then check out that link more thoroughly as it is very useful!

Happy Brewing! - I'll be doing a Porter this weekend :)

What yeast did you use? I'm not aware of a lager yeast that will ferment at 40F. It's usually closer to 50-55F. Did you take gravity readings, and get most of the way to FG during your primary fermentation?

It is a pilsener, coming in around 5%. Fermented out well. did a d rest @ 2 weeks to 67* also. og 1044. final is 1011.

Octoberfest needs a long aging. Should be made now. today.

I know, I know - Just didn't hit the line-up right... I'll be brewing it in early July to early august... I know I'll miss Sept. and Oct. when it should be ready but I'm hoping to have it for November (it's one of those beers the family and I can drink year 'round!

Back