Smacked a pack 3 weeks ago, still ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soma

Reaction score
I have a Wyeast smack pack of European Ale that was smacked a little over 3 weeks ago. Is there any reason that the yeast wouldn't be viable anymore? I will be making a starter w/ aeration and stirplate.

With aeration and a stirplate you'll be fine. Did you keep the yeast refrigerated by any chance? If not I'd give it a couple extra days, you probably have a lot of dead yeast in there.

You'll be fine. I buy old/accidentally smacked and expanded packs from the LHBS all of the time.

I've got a pack from July of dennys fav 50. LHBS discounted for being old. Will this still be good?

Well its a 2.5 gal batch so usually starter isn't needed. May just pitch...wait and pitch dry US 05 if nothing happens after couple days

You are likely going to be fine. There was an article a while back where some crazy scientist rehydrated some 3000 year old yeast from an ancient dehydrated beer and stepped it up enough to brew a batch.

You are likely going to be fine. There was an article a while back where some crazy scientist rehydrated some 3000 year old yeast from an ancient dehydrated beer and stepped it up enough to brew a batch.

Off topic, but where did you see that article? I'd love to read that.

I had a smack pack of Pacman that I smacked and decided not to use at the last minute that sat in the fridge for a month before I made a stater out of it. Took off like a champ.

Just an update: I brewed a porter with this yeast and it's fermenting away vigorously.

my deal is, 6 month old wyeast pack, partially inflated. not going to make a starter and pitch into 2.5 gal of 1.060 wort. I'll report back with details.

Back