Keezer Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewnoob1

Reaction score
For those that have a keezer and build collars, has anyone that has not re-used the lid and just built a wood topper to match the collar have any issues with insulation? Would a few inches of foam do the trick? I ordered my 7.0cf GE freezer from HD when it was on sale for 159.99 with free shipping. Should be here on the 27th and just trying to figure out what I'm doing with it. Collar for sure, but I'm undecided on the top. I've seen some lids being used that look good, then others that look totally out of place. I'm not going to do anything like a coffin top or anything as my wood working skills are next to none. I was just thinking about doing a simple wood top to stain and match the collar. Any thoughts/suggestions?

There shouldn't be any issue as long as you get a good seal on everything and just line it all up with some insulation.

I am doing the same thing....first I am putting the lid on and if I still want to I am gonna add the collar and digital temp control later....not sure about condensation. Use foam insulation

I am using butcher block as the top that is 1.5" thick maple. not sure about collar yet.

Post pics?

There shouldn't be any issue as long as you get a good seal on everything and just line it all up with some insulation.

yeah should be fine. be sure to use weather stripping or something along the eagles to make sure it's completely sealed when it's closed as well. I used weather stripping under my collar and then the rubber door lining strips for the top since they compress easier under the weight of the lid and form a better seal.

So you didn't reuse the seal that came on the lid to begin with Philly? Just weather stripping?

My keezer design is different than most people here. It's built into a drawer pull-out instead of the traditional swing-up lid top. Anyways, I didn't reuse the original lid and I haven't had any problems with it so far (it's been about 10 months since I finished my build).

What did you use to seal the build lid to the freezer? Also, did you use a few inches of foam insulation on the top A4J?

I did use a seal, but again, my design is different. I think I used 1.5" of foam insulation on the top.

*edit*
here's a pic
5476369923_5364612d85_b.jpg

oops, sorry. I was mistaken. I don't have insulation on top. There are actually 3 sheets of 3/4" plywood for the top. That was done more for aesthetic reasons than it was for insulation purposes but it works just the same.

Here is my build...
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-keezer-project-277328/

I used 1/2" particle board for the top, and covered it with black Formica laminate to match the freezer.

The inside is insulated with 1" rigid styrofoam insulation and some spray foam "Great Stuff". The spray foam works well, but it's been offgassing quite a bit, and everytime I open the keezer I get a good wiff of chemicals.

I also used 1/4" weatherstripping for the seal, but I ran two pieces (an inner and an outer) for a double seal. It seems to be pretty efficient. I connected it to a "Kill-A-Watt" electric meter to check the electric consumption before and after. The new and old tops have the same consumption.

I built a removable top that simply sits on top of the original freezer lid. It has an apron so it covers the old top on the sides. I can just pull it off whenever I need to open the lid. No issues with insulation or seals.

I really dig that topper you made jpietraski. Man, more decisions to make! Is it possible to get a close up of the seal from the top to freezer?

I really dig that topper you made jpietraski. Man, more decisions to make! Is it possible to get a close up of the seal from the top to freezer?

Here are some shots of the seal...
It's just weather stripping, that I doubled up and made a herring bone type pattern at the corner.

P1070961.JPG

P1070962.JPG

Back