Think I can bottle condition in this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhermetz

Reaction score
I have an experimental batch that is almost ready to move from the primary to keg or bottle.

Thing is it's only 2 Litres so I don't really want to waste the c02 force carbing in an almost empty keg.

I do however have this!

IMG_0407.jpg

Holds just over 2L. Think it can hold the pressure of bottle conditioning?
I figure if it held the pressure of the beer before it should be okay. Just want to double check, I would prefer not to have a bomb on my hands.

I sure as hell wouldn't.....It's too purdy. If I kegged, I would put already carbonated beer in it, but I sure wouldn't subject it to the pressure of bottle carbing.

So I could just pour my beer in the soda bottle using the same twist cap, mix in the priming sugar and let it sit for 3 weeks? then transfer to that to my 2 L beauty?

I find it hard to believe a soda bottle can take that pressure but if you guys have done it that's sweet.

So I could just pour my beer in the soda bottle using the same twist cap, mix in the priming sugar and let it sit for 3 weeks? then transfer to that to my 2 L beauty?

I find it hard to believe a soda bottle can take that pressure but if you guys have done it that's sweet.

Soda Bottles are under much more pressure than beer bottles.
Beer is typicely 2.5 level of CO2

Soda is up around 6 to 6.5 or more.

Just make sure to clean the bottles very well and give them an over night soak in baking soda and water solution to remove any odor.

That is a real beautiful Growler!

I wouldn't "pour", I'd siphon but yeah that's the basic way to do it.

The other very cool thing about the soda bottles is you can add a "carbonator cap", either store bought or homemade and give it a few blasts of co2 and carb it up that way.

Soda bottles can hold at least 40 psi. I know that for a fact- but I've never gone any higher! Soda is much more highly carbed than beer, and I carb up both beer and soda in 2L bottles with the carbonator cap.

Carbonator cap you say. Humm this is very interesting. This is going to make my experimental batches so much easier now.

Back