yeast type & bottle sediment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

borealis

Reaction score
I'm just wondering about different amounts of sediment in their bottles depending on the strain of yeast used. When I have used notty on a batch the sediment in the bottle is very tight and is hardly disturbed by pouring, which is nice. When I use US-05, I always have to leave more of my beer in the bottle when I pour to avoid pouring in the yeast--those ounces add up! I know that there are differences in the flocculation characteristics of these yeasts. Do people do anything to compensate for this, or is this just how it is? For what it's worth, I leave my brews in primary for 4 weeks or so and then bottle. I'm not looking to open up that debate at all, I just thought that info would help. Thanks.

I don't think anyone's ever done a study of the amount of sediment based on yeast type. I don't really pay attention myself.

What I do know that the longer you chill the beer in the fridge, the tighter the yeast cake. I had a beer in the back of my fridge for 3 months, that I could completely upend and no yeast came out. Longer in the cold the tighter the yeast cake becomes.

Back