Monster MM2 or MM3?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjvicker

Reaction score
It's time for me to buy a mill. I brewed 70 gallons in 08, 70 gallons in 09 and will probably hit 100 gallons this year. I'm undecided which mill is right for the amount I brew. The MM3 is a great mill but is the extra $45 worth it for the volume I brew?

Ideas, input?

I would also like to know more about the two. I know a 3 roll is 'better' but anyone have experience with both?

I bought the low end MM 2 Roller mill. I am very happy with it. I use a corded drill to drive it and my biggest complaint is a 5 gal bucket I use to catch the grain post crush is too small for my grain bills. I do 10 gal batches and my typical grain bill is 20lb give or take a couple pounds based on style.

I'm going to say you would be hard pressed to tell the difference in the crush from a 2 roll and 3 roll mill. For the homebrewer a 2 roll mill is more than satisfactory. Especially if you condition your malt, a 2 roll works great. The purpose for a 3 roll is to keep more of the husk intact. The first setting flattens the grain to loosen the husk and the second crushes the grain to a set gap. I bought the MM-3 with stainless rolls. I didn't want to worry about rust and the crush looks great. Did I need the MM-3, no, but I had the extra cash and do not regret it at all. The hopper was easy to make and I've never had an ounce of trouble. Call Fred and talk to him about it. He was great and told me all I needed to know. I'm going to start conditioning my malt and I think I will be glad I bought the stainless rollers. If I had it to do over, I would have saved some money and bought the MM-2 with stainless rolls and a 1/2" drive shaft. I drive mine with a 1967 1/2" Black and Decker drill that runs at 260 RPM. A 1/2" drill is a must in my opinion.

I am looking at the monster mills as well and can't decide if I should spend a few extra bucks for the MM-3. I expect this to be the one and only mill I ever purchase, but I am not sure the third roller really does anything a two roller can't do.

Used properly, the 3 roller mill should allow for a finer crush and/or faster lautering. Properly adjusted, the hulls stay more intact while further extracting/pulverizing the endosperm.

I have an MM-2 w/SS rollers.

I also condition my malt, and my husks are split in two for the most part. I keep my gap set at .29, and my effeciency runs at 84%-87%...

You don't NEED the MM-3, you can do everything with the MM-2.

Nope, you don't NEED it. I like the results from my MM3.

I've yet to try malt conditioning with either a 2 or 3 roller mill, but I suspect that malt conditioning would nearly negate the advantage of a 3rd roller.

Thanks for the feedback. I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the MM-3 with stainless rollers and 1/2" shaft. I figured its worth a few extra bucks if I never have to buy another mill.

Back