Poll: How should I design my two tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimWeber

Reaction score
I am building a 5 gallon two tier semi-automatic brewery eventually to be fully automated. I have decided to build a two tier to take a little advantage of gravity since I can.

There are two options I have. The BK on the lowest platform (like the brewmagic) or the HLT on the highest platform. I also use a Blichmann autosparge.

I am building a systems very simular to the brew magic. RIMS controlled mash, burners under each vessel.

I am pretty much set on having the HLT on the highest platform with the MT and BK a the same level. I'll use my pump to run off my mash into the BK. I figure this shouldn't be an issue since I am already using a RIMS. I like having the MT and BT low enough so that I can stick my head in, if need be (that's why I dont want a 3 tier). I like the HLT being up higher because it gives me a lot of space below to mount control box, HMI, stow a propane tank, and mount other equipment.

I just wanted to know what other people's thoughts were on this? If money was no issue, what configuration would you do? Also, I am trying to make this thing look as impressive as possible. Because I'm like that. :)

Like this?

black_dog1.jpg

I actually bought just the stand from Sabco because I liked the design. I do weld but didn't have the time to build a stand myself. With the amount of time I could have donated to building a stand it would have taken forever so I bit the bullet and bought one. Actually the wife bought it for me as a present to stop me from pissing and moaning about never having the time to build one.

Actually most of my build is based on all of your awesome build threads! I hope to have a comprehensive and well thought out design like yours. I think I've read everything you've posted. Thanks for all of your advice!

I just build my RIMS last night and I have a prototype stand and controller box that I am using to test it out for now while I work on the design.

That was the one option I was talking about. I actually think that I want the MT and BK on the same level (20" off the ground) and the HLT higher (40" off the ground). For the main purpose of reducing the number of pumps and valves, and poviding space for mounting components.

I don't have welding equipment so I am opting out of square tube. I am going to build the whole thing out of 80/20. I like how light it is, the interchangeability, and the ease of mounting components. It also looks very professional. I've used it in a medical product before. I'll uses stainless steel cross bars for my vessels sit on, so that the flames don't come into contact with the aluminum.

I believe gravity draining the MLT is preferred to pumping but a lot of people have success both ways. In any case, I never understood why the Sabco is so damn high off the ground. Well, OK, I assume it's because you're supposed to be able to gravity drain the BK to the fermenter. If you don't require that functionality, put the lower tier low enough so the tops of the vessels are waist height.

I agree with you. It doesn't need to be that high. I'll be brewing 5 gallon batches on it (ocassionally 10). So I will need it a bit higher than if I were using kegs. Seems that if you are already using a pump for recirculating the mash, then it would not be detrimental to use a pump to run off to the kettle. I pump through a Therminator anyway, being above the carboy isn't a concern.

whats the negatives of using a pump to move between the MLT and boil kettle? I'm actually in process of designing one also and am looking to finalize on a 2-tier design and like the OP was leaning towards HLT on top. I dont have any plans in the near future for any RIMS or HERMS automated systems but i guess i'll never rule it out

whats the negatives of using a pump to move between the MLT and boil kettle? I'm actually in process of designing one also and am looking to finalize on a 2-tier design and like the OP was leaning towards HLT on top. I dont have any plans in the near future for any RIMS or HERMS automated systems but i guess i'll never rule it out

Some say it compacts the grain bed but if you have the flow low it should not be an issue. Anyone with a single tier pumps out of the mlt and there are tons of those

oh ok, thats fine then, i'm fly sparging out of it, so its going to be slow coming out of it anyway to match the sparge coming in.

Could also channel it if you flow faster than gravity would run off. Reducing efficiency. I think if you fly sparge, and run slow you should be ok. All one tiers use a pump, including breweries, so I must work.

I suppose I should have said that you have to be extra careful that you throttle the flow out of the MLT because pumping hold the potential to quickly compact the grainbed if you run it wide open for even a minute. Certainly it can be done... I have a single tier myself.

I am building a 2 tier system and I plan on using gravity to drain from MLT to Kettle. I do 5 gallon batches and this will be a low profile. I have two goals I want to accomplish. 1 no ladders or step stools and 2 I want it at comfortable height to stir my grain. I will pour my water into the HLT and pump into MLT then drain to kettle.

Sounds a bit similar to my set up. I don't batch sparge so I think that would actually compact my grain bed. But you can use the blichmann autosparge with a pump, so that's a work around.

I am also doing a 5 gallon system. I also want to use it for 3 gallon batches and occasionally 10 gallon batches.

I also wanted to avoid ladders and I wanted to easily stir my mash.

It would be best to let the MLT gravity drain into a small container then pump out of that container into the boil kettle.

still tossing it back and forth, the big plus for the 1 up 2 down is the room for the propane tank. I cant think of a way to make it work with 1 down 2 up and the propane tank. I'm trying to keep it relatively low, like possibly having the pots open a little over waist high... then i just say, why bother, just go for a single tier and spend the extra 120 or so on the extra pump.

I compacted my grain bed in about 5 seconds. turns out my crush was a little tight.

pumping is not the problem, you just have to limit the flow right off the bat.

EI, turn on the pump and just barely crack the valve. then slowly open the valve till you get a little flow.

A plus side to pumping from the MLT is if you are using a Herms, or other heat exchanger, you are automatically vorlaufing.

Guy, You know I'm yankin your chain !

Pat

Absolutely....but I do have to admit.....yours is very pretty and I do have a case of severe jealously.:D One day I may have to commission you to build one of those for me. I weld but I am an amatuer and would not attempt to weld stainless. Maybe when I attempt an all electric setup. I wonder how much you would charge to just build the stand out of that gourgeous stainless steel?

Absolutely....but I do have to admit.....yours is very pretty and I do have a case of severe jealously.:D One day I may have to commission you to build one of those for me. I weld but I am an amatuer and would not attempt to weld stainless. Maybe when I attempt an all electric setup. I wonder how much you would charge to just build the stand out of that gourgeous stainless steel?

Thanks buddy we can figure out the price when your ready I sure stainless will be cheaper then when I bought it.

Pat

so after quite a bit of pros and cons, mock ups and thinking, i'm think i'm set on going with HLT and MLT on top and BK on the bottom. This should still work with one pump correct, just clean up the pump after the sparge while boil, then use it to run from the BK into chiller into fermenter (or straight into fermenter if using an IC).

A few questions (sorry if i'm hijacking a thread!), keeping a cooler MLT, does a heat shield do a pretty good job of keeping the burner heat from the HLT away from the MLT?

My 2 15gal pots i have are 18.5" in diameter, was thinking of about 6-8" of space between the HLT and MLT cooler... is that enough space coupled with a heatshield around the burner to ensure the cooler is fine? Trying to reap a bit of space savings.

Back