Trying a little experiment with amylase

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gluten

Reaction score
I've got 1/2 pound of Steel Cut Oats steeping with 1/2 teaspoon of powdered amylase from the brew store.

I'm curious to see if this alone will convert the oats to sugar, however I'm a little concerned about the "keep out of reach of children" warning on the package. Will this be safe to eat?

This is the same enzyme that is in your saliva (chew a cracker long enough and it gets sweet). The safety concern is most likely due to: A. the high concentration, B. the plastic bag, C. generalized nanny-ism

Agreed...dose makes the poison.
Amylase will benefit from a warm temp, body temp.
Boil to kill off enzymatic activity. Skip this step you will probably get a bad stomach ache, and dry wort.
What was your result if you don’t mind sharing? And any plans to use this in a recipe?

Another thing is that with amylase enzyme, you won't be making the same sugars made in a normal mash. Enzymes determine the kind of sugar made. Thats why mashing corn or rice with barley still makes maltose, maltriose and limit dextrine.

Another thing is that with amylase enzyme, you won't be making the same sugars made in a normal mash. Enzymes determine the kind of sugar made. Thats why mashing corn or rice with barley still makes maltose, maltriose and limit dextrine.
I don't know which enzyme it is in powdered amylase, but the primary ezymes in a barley mash ARE amylases; so it shouldn't be all that different.

Oh right, I kind of assumed you were using the powdered version of beano (alpha galactosidase). If you have an amylase, it should be the same enzyme found in malt.

Back