calling all plumbers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ceedubya

Reaction score
So I needed to replace the guts to my toilet in the kids bathroom this weekend, as it was sucking air aound the bottom of the tank. While SWMBO was off to church with the kids I figured it was a good time to get it done.

In a moment I'm not to proud of, I managed to crack the tank, sending water leaking on the floor. I acted quickly and got the water stopped, but now I have a broken toilet. When SWMBO returned, I told her the news, and off we went to Lowes to buy a new toilet.

Now we have been redoing this bathroom anyways, and wanted to replace the fooring, so I thought this was a good time to do that as well. We had also talked about installing new fixtures, so the toilet isn't that big of deal I just didn't want to do it right now :(

Anyways, I peeled up the old linolium, only to find another layer beneath it, and then scraped it up but the paper (or felt or whatever it is) backing stayed behind.

When I lifted the old toilet off the flange, I discovered the wax ring had failed and the subfloor around the flange has rotted away.

So, I need to cut out the floor to the joists, reinforce with crossbraces, and lay in new subfloor. that part I got.

The question is, how do I work around the flange or can I remove it an put in a new one? Since the subfloor will need to go under the flange, I'm not sure how I can work around it??

Also, any advice on how to remove the backing off of the old linolium would be helpful. The flooring guy at lowes told me to wet it with detergent and water and use my 4" scraper. I tried water with dish soap and a bunch of oxyclean in a test spot, and so far it hasn't helped much. I have to cut into the wood to do any good.

Dude ....that sucks...sounds like you got quite the project forced into your hands. Not sure about the flange...(I assume it's PVC?). Hopefully some plumbers on here can give you some help. Otherwise, I guess you'll have to scab some plywood under the flange in two pieces? Ahh...the the joys of being a Happy Homeowner!!! PS...I have my upstairs bathroom tore apart too.... Ripped out the tub and replaced Saturday...no water damage though....thank god....)

you pretty much answered your own question. Replace the flange. You could probably even use your old one but they are cheap anyways.

you pretty much answered your own question. Replace the flange. You could probably even use your old one but they are cheap anyways.

Thats what I thought, but how do I remove it, and add the new one? I've looked aound, and its a bit confusing.

its PVC right?
you are going to have to cut it.
and then use a coupler a short piece of piple and the new flange

i would cut up the floor, cut off the pipe
and add the coupler and extension
cut the extension pipe 1/8 below the new floor level
patch floor and then glue on the new flange.

images4.jpg

also dude make damn sure you glue that thing on, faceing the right way!!!
you dont want to big holes that the carriage bolts heads go in lined up, you want the ends of that track lined up to where the tolit bowl bolt holes will go
if you get this woung it really sucks ;)

also if you are going to have the bowl off there for some time you can place a sheet up plastic over the pipe ( i cut mine from a zip lockbag) and glue it all up and push the flange over the the sheet and pipe, that way the pipe is seald, and nasty fart gas is not filling your home , that way you can remode at your own pace and when it time to set the bowl just cut out the plactic sheet with a razor.

Fart Gas = BAD. got it :D

I'm gonna tear into the floor tonight, and see how it looks.

Update:

cut away all the rot, and opened up a 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 foot hole in the floor. The drain pipe was easy to access, but it was ran right next to a floor joist. I had to cut it down close to where it intersects with the main drain pipe, not leaving myself much margin for error. I got it cut and put the coupler on, and have the new upright cut and ready for tomorrow. plugged it up with crumpled newpaper to keep out the ass-gas.

I found an adhesive remover to put on the leftover backing from the linoleum flooring. I am tying it on a spot tonight to see how it works. If it work out, I will apply it to the rest in the morning, and hopefully get it scraped tomorrow night. Also, I will put in the bracing and new piece of subfloor tomorrow and put on the new flange.

So, by tommorow night I will hopefully be ready for new flooring.

Thanks for all help!

Back