BCS Strike Process Techniques

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heckels

Reaction score
I'm getting my HERMS system up and running and programming mash process into the BCS.

I was wondering how you guys have your strike process set up. The two options that make the most sense are to:
1. Heat enough water in the HLT to transfer about half of the strike water to the mash tun when mashing in while keeping enough in the HLT to maintain mash temps.
2. Add the necessary amount to the mash tun and the HLT and heat water in the HLT and mash tun through recirculating simultaneously.

What are the pros and cons between the two? Are the other obvious options I'm missing?

I tried them both at first but now I end up heating my strike water up in my bk at the same time I am heating my sparge water up in my hlt for my herms. Having to reheat the hlt after mash in took to long.

Chrisl77 said:
I tried them both at first but now I end up heating my strike water up in my bk at the same time I am heating my sparge water up in my hlt for my herms. Having to reheat the hlt after mash in took to long.

For some reason I hadn't really considered that but it seems like it'd be the most efficient - lower volumes of water utilizing both heating elements (I'm running a 50A system) simultaneously. I also have the whirlpool port that would help prevent stratification.

I think I'll give that a try.

I do it that way as well - I have the larger element in my HLT, and that water has to be hotter to compensate for the drop in temperature when hitting the grain / mash tun, so I get them both to the desired temps, dump from the HLT to the MLT, and then pump from the BK to the MLT to run the HERMS. It's a bit of a ballet, but it definitely speeds the process up and keeps temps steady as long as possible.

If you weren't able to run both elements at the same time, I'd go with your second option - full volume, then run the HLT until it gets up to temp, then start the recirculation.

I'm on a 30A circuit, so I don't have the option of running both elements. My method is to fill my HLT with 15 gallons and heat it to strike temps 160-175, depending on my mash profile I'm after. Then transfer 6-8 gallons (depending on grain bill, and all my batches are 10 gallon batches) and hit mash in temp, then Re-fill the hlt to 15 gallons ( the HLT will typically be at 125-145 after this) then I raise the HLT temp to +2º of my desired mash temp. when the HLT is at the right temp, ~10-15min I start the recirculation. After another 15min I raise the HLT to mash out temps of 172 continuing recirculation , and when the Mash reaches 168 I start lautering.

But thats just how I do it.

For some reason I hadn't really considered that but it seems like it'd be the most efficient - lower volumes of water utilizing both heating elements (I'm running a 50A system) simultaneously. I also have the whirlpool port that would help prevent stratification.

I think I'll give that a try.

Pretty much what I do. 50Amp system. Simultaneously heat the strike water volume in the BK, and mash-temp water in HLT using BCS PID control. I also use separate pumps to continual re-circulate throughout heating. This last step really makes a difference on my system, as I routinely observe temp stratification.

Back