HELP!!! Rhizome orientation Question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I planter my hops this past Sunday and I noticed that alot of the how to guides say that orientation is key. How does one know the correct orientation. Two of the 3 I planted just resemble sticks, nothing indicating that there is a bulb. The third one has 2 whitish stems shooting off of it. Are these white stems the roots? I assumed that they were. I just do not want the plant to try and grow downward

Thanks for the heads up svengoat. I am going to re orient them when I get home. I just was not sure if the white off shoots were part of the root system or the plant part.

I planter my hops this past Sunday and I noticed that alot of the how to guides say that orientation is key. How does one know the correct orientation. Two of the 3 I planted just resemble sticks, nothing indicating that there is a bulb. The third one has 2 whitish stems shooting off of it. Are these white stems the roots? I assumed that they were. I just do not want the plant to try and grow downward

Planting sprouts facing up is beneficial but not necessary. The sprouts will find their way up no matter how they are planted. The white things that resemble asparagus are the sprouts.

Planting sprouts facing up is beneficial but not necessary. The sprouts will find their way up no matter how they are planted. The white things that resemble asparagus are the sprouts.

so should the sprout be planted below the soil a few inches or should it stick out?

thanks for the reply

Yeah. When I got mine they were but dirty sticks. Seriously, no shoots, buds, growths, or any evidence of root system. It felt like I was planting magic beans (sticks). In the end they all figured it out and are growing pretty good now.

Yeah. When I got mine they were but dirty sticks. Seriously, no shoots, buds, growths, or any evidence of root system. It felt like I was planting magic beans (sticks). In the end they all figured it out and are growing pretty good now.

Yeah! I had about that much faith in my magic beans too! :D

Well I am hoping that my 3 magic beans yield at least something. How long does it take for the initial sprouting to happen. I know I am impatient and RDWHAHB, but I am still impatient. I planted them in Miracle Grow and so far no miracles damnit...

Well I am hoping that my 3 magic beans yield at least something. How long does it take for the initial sprouting to happen. I know I am impatient and RDWHAHB, but I am still impatient. I planted them in Miracle Grow and so far no miracles damnit...

It can take a couple weeks to emerge.

As long as the rhizomes are under ground but not too deep (2-4 inches should work just fine) they will grow without a problem. Orientation doesn't really matter that much under the ground.

The rhizomes are usually cut from horizontal roots so that may be a slightly more natural way to place them, but it doesn't really mater.

RDWHAHB

Craig

I didn't get anything worth harvesting the first year. This year looks very different. I'm peeing myself with anticipation at the way these buggers are growing.

Forget the first year, I think it's all about establishing the root system. :(

Yeah, +1 to what the Gnome said. My first year magic sticks sprouted a handful of vines, nothing longer than a foot and a half. stayed green for a while, and then dried up in the fall.

This year, I had a lot of bines, first ones to 2 ft I kept, and trimmed all the others back to the ground. The ones I kept are growing pretty good. woo woo.

I am not expecting a yield but I do want my magic sticks to show some signs of growth

I'm not sure the growth above ground is even too relevant in the first year. Those magic sticks get very jiggy under the soil. They can dig down as mch as 15 ft, apparently. Just don't expect much in the first year as yo are doing, then you are on the right path. :)

I converted some 19gal. buckets into planters some my magic sticks can grow some big ass roots. It is all about the long term

Back