Honey question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandon O

Knapsnatchio
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So if I buy a 16oz container at the grocery store, is that 1lb or is that 16oz by volume?

I would think honey weighs more than water.

16 oz is 16 oz. no matter what. Honey weighs in at around 12# per gallon (Volume) and the same volume of water is around 8.6#.

If you check it...you will find that your 16 oz jar of honey will NOT fill up 2 cups.

16 oz is 16 oz. no matter what. Honey weighs in at around 12# per gallon (Volume) and the same volume of water is around 8.6#.

If you check it...you will find that your 16 oz jar of honey will NOT fill up 2 cups.

However many liquids are sold in fluid oz volumes. So it is true that 16 fl oz is not necessarily 16 oz.

Honey is sold by weight and as mentioned is much heavier than water.

Craig

either way if you are planning a mead, find a private beekeeper as the honey will cost much less and be of better quality than you will get in a grocery store.

all the honey I've bought, both pricy and el cheapo, were all by weight not volume.

Back