Lord Nelson (Rye IIPA) Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Germey

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Safale-05
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
NA
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
75 min
IBU
High
Color
Gold with a hint of red
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
16 days @ 66
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 64
Ingredients:
Malt 8 lbs B3 Extra pale LME
Grain(s) 4lbs Rahr 2-row
2lbs Vienna 1lb Belgian Aromatic
1lb Crystal 40L 1lb Honey Malt
1lb Carapils 1lb rye

Hops Nelson Sauvin, 11.7%
Simcoe 11.90% dry

Yeast Safale US-05
Water Arrowhead Mtn Spring

Mashing info:
11lbs grain. mashed in w/ 3 gal. @ 154° @ 6:45. Temp was 142° @ 8:30
1st runnings SG=1.1
Batch Sparged with 2.5 gal SG= 1.070
Pitching SG with Extract = 1.095
FG = 1.021

Hop / boil schedule.
1 oz 60 min
1 oz 45min
1 oz 30min
2oz 10 min.
0.5 oz dry Nelson added to primary for 2 days.
0.5 oz dry simcoe added to secondary for 2 weeks

Did mash in 5 gal cooler with braid. Drained pretty well. Massive failure on the txfr to fermenter...forgot to use hop bags. Large amount of cold break and trub in fermentor.
Safale yeast was starting to bubble at about 4 hours. Made the trub float (looks really funny).

Added Dry Hops on 12/9/07 (2 weeks). Fermentation has been running at about 66 on average, but a bit higher at the beginning, and more like 64 for the past week. Tastes very nice already. Strong alcohol and bitter/ sweet are a bit disjointed. Should blend a bit more. I can definately see the wine characterization for the hops. The initial sharpness of the hops and a converstion with a friend made me abandon the 100% Nelson and dry hop with Simcoe in secondary.
Racked to 2° on 12/12/07 and added 0.5oz of Simcoe.
Kegged on 12/28/07. Tastes FANTASTIC. Just like the Nelson from Alpine Brewing (I think) that was my inspiration for this beer. Force carbed and is drinking great. Wish I had 10 gal.
Took it to homebrew club meeting and got glowing reviews from all.
I gave a bottle to a new brewer on this board and I found out later that it was his first homebrew ever! Even he liked it, although he found the hops a bit overwhelming by the end of the glass.
The Nelson Sauvin hop is very floral and grapefruity. This beer was very easy to drink. One would probably never suspect it was 10% abv.
If you can find the hops, I highly recommend experimenting with them.

Anyone else brewed this lately? I have just discovered Nelson (Im a poor east coast boy) and LOVE it. Wanted to see anyone else's recomendation on brewng a Nelson clone.

Since Posting this recipe I have switched to all-grain brewing. I have also backed the recipe off to a 6.5% beer and re-named it Admiral Nelson (I will reserve the Lord title for when I brew the double).
The admiral nelson has done fairly well for itself.
It was runner up at the Stone Pro Am competition in March 2009. Watch the final deliberation to see which judge picked mine.:mug:

Any chance you would be willing to share your all-grain recipe of admiral nelson or the new lord double recipe? Congrats on the award!

Of course I will. I've been meaning to do it for a while. I will try to get done tonight.
Cheers.

Back