Will this work to chill my wort?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bennie1986

Reaction score
I want to brew on my back porch. I live in a 2nd story apartment. I have not water source for my immersion chill back there. I was thinking I could split the batch after the boil into two 5gallon pots and carry them to the kitchen to chill. Will this work? what should I watch out for if I attempt this?

Can you get a hose fitting adapter for the faucet in the kitchen and run a hose to the back porch for a water source? Can you then drain off the porch....or possibly run another hose back to the sink?

Carrying hot wort in pots is scary.

chezhed said:
Can you get a hose fitting adapter for the faucet in the kitchen and run a hose to the back porch for a water source? Can you then drain off the porch....or possibly run another hose back to the sink?

Carrying hot wort in pots is scary.

I have considered this but I would have to get a 50' hose. I agree its not the best idea to carry that around but that's why I would split it up so I'm only carrying 2.5 gallons at a time.

All it takes is a slip, trip, etc. and you'll be scarred up hardcore. Advice I'll give you from a decade in commercial kitchens.

bennie1986 said:
I want to brew on my back porch. I live in a 2nd story apartment. I have not water source for my immersion chill back there. I was thinking I could split the batch after the boil into two 5gallon pots and carry them to the kitchen to chill. Will this work? what should I watch out for if I attempt this?

I usually use my hose to get my temps to 100ish (I live in AZ). After that I use an immersion pump in a cooler filled with ice. I get down to 60 degrees in 20 minutes. You might try the same thing and have to change out the returning hot water a few times by skipping the hose part. I bought my pump for about $30 bucks from Northern Tool I believe. Great investment. And you save a boat load of water

I have considered this but I would have to get a 50' hose. I agree its not the best idea to carry that around but that's why I would split it up so I'm only carrying 2.5 gallons at a time.

My brew-room is in the other end of the basement of where the faucet is. I have 2x40ft long hoses where one supplies my chiller, and the other one drains it back into the sink. Works like a charm. Just tape them together to avoid them tangling up.

I agree carrying isn't the best idea. investing in a longer hose would prob be the best bet. or just covering the lid of ur BK and letting it cool naturally. alot of people do overnight chills and still make great beer.

I'm going with the hose idea. I'm going to make one with 1/2 tube so it won't be such a pain in the butt.

Back