Air in the auto siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reibrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just had my first go at batch priming, siphoned from the primary to the bottling bucket with a couple issues, but overall pretty well. I noticed some bubbling near where my 3/8" hose connected to the inner tube, and I'm wondering how harmful this is to the beer. Also when bottling I had the same issue, but eventually it went away after I pumped a few extra times and got a more steady flow.

Any worries? Should I pump more next time or is it mostly a matter of technique and practice to keep a steady stream flowing?

I find this happens when the draw isn't strong enough so another pump usually helps to push them along. I also pinch the hose just below the bubbles and release, the bubbles usually take right off and disappear after that

You should be ok if you drink it in fairly short order. If you store it long term it might change the flavor some

Enjoy
Toy4Rick

I don't think that would compromise your beer in anyway.

Also, when this happens I pinch the tubing right were the bubbles are a little bit and it goes away.

I have never paid having a couple of air bubbles much mind. Sometimes if you stop, let pressure build a bit, then restart you will flush out the air and get a good stream.

My 3/8 auto siphon takes a 5/16 hose. Pretty sure yours does also. I started out with a 3/8 hose and it was completely useless. The 5/16 fixed all my problems.

Do you use an Auto siphon? If so, pour a shot of starsan water solution, inside the top of the bigger auto siphon tube because the sanitized liquid creates an air seal by sitting above the beer thats being racked. also try pinching the vinyl tubing, directly under the connection to the racking cane, until the bubbles disperse.

I had this problem yesterday when I bottled as well. I was using 3/8" hose. Doing research "after" my beer was bottled and my bucket didn't look like a smurfin hot tub from me pumping so much air into it, I was able to figure out the smaller hose as well. Its probably more oxygenated then it was to start the fermentation... Its too late now, so I will hope things turn out ok and make sure I drink them asap. I also thought you were supposed to remove the cap...nope! Sidenote: Smelled awesome!

Oh no so I'll need to drink them quick then? I feel so sorry for myself :(

I'll try to get a better pump going next time, I fixed my problem in the bottling bucket and had a great stream going for about half my bottles. I use a 5/18th hose, Might also try the starsan liquid trick :)

I had a similar problem with my auto siphon after a few months of use. I cut an inch off of the vinyl tubing for the connection to the glass siphon tubing. Star San may harden the vinyl tubing letting it become slightly oval from use. Like a previous post I also have a Star San solution inside the outer tube of the siphon for sealing and lubrication.

Back