Water Profile Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pash91

Reaction score
I just got off the phone with the chemist at the Cleveland Water Department. This is their current profile:

Name: Cleveland, OH
PH: 7.70

Ions:
Calcium: 33.00
Magnesium: 7.10
Sodium: 10.70
Sulfate: 44.00
Chloride: 20.00
Bicarbonate: 97.60 (calculated using HCO3 (ppm) Alkalinity as CaCO3 Divide by 50 and multiply by 61)

I'm wondering if there's anything that should be done to tweak things. I'm using a campden tablet as I'm heating up my mash water. I was also thinking of using a little Calcium Chloride in the mash. Any thoughts? Also, do these numbers look right? He kept saying that they report in mg/l, but doing the conversions put these numbers much higher than I expected

It wouldn't take much acid to neutralize that alkalinity. I'd be doing you a disservice if I didn't implore you to try and learn a bit about brewing water. Visit the Bru'n Water website and go to the Water Knowledge page to learn what is what in brewing water. You could then consider using Bru'n Water or other tools that assist you in what and how much to add to your tap water.

You've completed the first step...you have your tap water profile. You can now take the next step!

Enjoy!

Thanks for the tip. I have been starting to read up on it as I am interested in the subject. I haven't seen that website though. I'll do my best to read up and understand it. If I have any specific questions, I'll come back. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back