Ah crap!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captgus

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I was mashing in with my Berliner Weisse just now and it hit me, I totally botched my order from More Beer and DID NOT order milled grains. So here I sit, with 3 LBS of Germans Pilsner, 3 LBS of White Wheat, 8 ounces of rice hulls and an ounce of Hellertauer in my mash tun. :drunk:

Is there any point in continuing or should I just scrap the whole batch, save the yeast and place a new grain order?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I assume you have already mashed in and the grains are wet? If so, then I think you may need new grains. I doubt you will get much (if any) conversion from whole grains. Save the yeast if you can, and start over.

HOSED. The mash will not be efficient at all. Rolling pin will help in a pinch but after there wet, im not sure. Bet you wont do that again! Cheers.

Dry them out and brew next week. You should be able to set the grain out and let it dry. You've basically just over condition your grain at this point. Do you have access to a mill, or is that the major sticking point?

Nope, I'm pretty sure that's the last time I screw up an order like that. I have no idea how I didn't catch it when I unpacked the box either. Oh well, thanks for the replies, I think I'll just finish up my breakfast burrito, clean up and then head down to my favorite local brewery for a pint or three.

I would love to brew it next week (you can't make this crap up) but I'm having my rotator tendon re-attached on Tuesday and will be in a sling for the next 6 weeks.

I thought about the immersion blender for a second but it sounded like the mother of all stuck sparges in the making. In the end, I drove 40 miles to the nearest LHBS for grain and hops and just pitched a vial of WLP630.

Back