Sponge growth in my fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Murray

Reaction score
I am making a lager beer, and have used Wyeast 2278 Pilsner yeast. I pitched 2 packs (100bn cells per pack, viability 70% as per the Beersmith cals) into my wort, and have defnitely noticed yeast growth activity. After a few days of fermentation (7.5deg C or 46deg F) I am getting the traditional "foaming" on the top of my wort and CO2 emmission through my airlock. However, under the surface of my wort (but near the top of the wort) I have seen evidence of a sponge-like growth (really quite large) which I have not seen before in previous batches. Does anyone know if this is normal or expected? Will it interfere with my beer, or will it eventually drop down and form part of the yeast cake ?

I had HUGE sponge like cake that covered the top 2-3 inches of my last Sierra Nevada IPA Clone. I had to rack under it and still got that crap into my keg as it never fell out. Even when I added the dry hop bag and pushed that stuff down in hopes if it falling to the bottom. Nope, never happened lol. RDWHAHB is right. It's just the yeast doing their thing. No worries man!

It's cold break that made it into your fermentor that has co2 bubbles in it from the beginning of fermentation making it lighter so it floats. After a heavy fermentation it should break up and settle back down. If not, gently vibrate or swirl (without splashing) your fermentor and they should drop.

Back