American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to brew more, this is one of those, "the last one is the best", brews. It only improves, the longer it goes the better it gets! Only have 18 left from the first batch, should have brewed more 3 weeks ago. Got to work on pipeline management, not to mention fermentation temperature control! Brew this, you won't be sorry.

What's the sweet spot for this beer to age?
I brewed my first AG batch a 2 weeks ago, fermented for 13 days, crash cooled for 2 days, and then kegged. Right now I don't get much hops from it, and it still tastes yeasty.

I have no problem not trying it until its prime (or at least 80% to prime), so what do you think a good age is? Right now its kegged and sitting around 37 degrees at 12 psi.

How do you avoid cold break in the fermenter? After my boil I just drain into my primary minus the scum at the very bottom where my diptube doesn't reach.

I have brewed this 4 times. It was my first all grain and has came out great every time.

Question: This is the first time I have kegged it. So 10-14 days in the primary and it is ok to put it in the fridge on C02 @12PSI to finish off?

KirkD said:
I have brewed this 4 times. It was my first all grain and has came out great every time.

Question: This is the first time I have kegged it. So 10-14 days in the primary and it is ok to put it in the fridge on C02 @12PSI to finish off?

Yes, leave at that PSI for at least another week.

Hey thanks for the great recipe. I'm about to make this today but I have a question.

Your total sparge water amount is 4.5 gallons. I generally use this website to calculate how much sparge water I need:

http://brew365.com/mash_sparge_water_calculator.php

When I enter all the information in this it says I need 5.82 gallons of sparge water. Why are the number so far off? I am going to follow this thread's recipe so I guess I'm more worried that website is leading me astray in other batches I've done.....

thanks

I notice on that site they use 1 gallon as the equipment loss. I doubt EdWort uses that parameter. You should input the parameters for your own system.

Basically for mash you should figure 1.25 qts per lb and then sparge off whatever it takes to get to your boil volume. That is the KISS method in essence.

Near boiling :)

2012-04-21_18-49-58_907.jpg

Ok she's fermenting! Krausen isn't terribly high, but it's bubbling away!

It's the carboy on the far right.

I hit 1.047 or so OG....close enough I hope...can't wait to try this.

2012-04-22_10-41-03_809.jpg

Pitch with Nottingham Dry Yeast. No starter or hydration. Update! With the Nottingham shortage, Safale -05 is a great substitute and will make a great beer too. Very similar.

This ferments out very fast, so I will crash cool and keg after 1 week to 10 days.
I'm curious...

What about this recipe makes this brew ferment so fast?

I'm curious...

What about this recipe makes this brew ferment so fast?

I have no clue, but it shure as heck does ferment fast.. check out my video clip this is the 3rd batch i made and did on the previous batche's nottingham yeast cake... was bubbling like CRAZY 12 hours later fermentation was pretty much done...

Last edited by a moderator:
Just pulled a pint of this tonight. It's finally cleared after 4 weeks in the keg. More importantly it's aged nicely and has lost that green beer flavor, the up front hop bite has subsided bringing more flavor out but with still some nice hop bitterness and aroma. It's a bit thin since I accidentally mashed at 149F so I would have liked a little bit more malt backbone, but it's a very tasty beer. Much different at 6 weeks old than when I tried it at 3 :D

I'll definitely make this again, and plan on leaving it to condition for at least 6-8 weeks before I tap the next one.

IMG_1469.jpg

Just pulled a pint of this tonight. It's finally cleared after 4 weeks in the keg. More importantly it's aged nicely and has lost that green beer flavor, the up front hop bite has subsided bringing more flavor out but with still some nice hop bitterness and aroma. It's a bit thin since I accidentally mashed at 149F so I would have liked a little bit more malt backbone, but it's a very tasty beer. Much different at 6 weeks old than when I tried it at 3 :D

I'll definitely make this again, and plan on leaving it to condition for at least 6-8 weeks before I tap the next one.

I agree 100% one batch took 3 weeks of cold conditioning to clear, the other took 4 weeks.... and my 3rd batch still hasnt' cleared yet... I'm throwing whirlfloc in next time... but once this beer does clear and cleanup, a great tasting and very easy drinking pale ale....

I finally got this one to get to drinkable after 7 1/2 weeks. It's still very hazy. It tastes good but is a little too bitter for me. If I make it again, I will adjust down the bittering hops.

I finally got this one to get to drinkable after 7 1/2 weeks. It's still very hazy. It tastes good but is a little too bitter for me. If I make it again, I will adjust down the bittering hops.

I'm kinda thinking the same thing about the bitterness, but i think waterprofiles affect it... I assumed my hard water made it taste a bit bitter... also if your efficiency was low and had a low OG with the same amount of hops, they bitterness will be more pronounced... it was my issue on one of my batches of this brew where i only got 1.048

About to brew this for the first time tomorrow (partial mash) but wanted to use more grain and less dme. Wanted to know if this will work.
2 lbs light dme
7 lbs Vienna malt
.5 oz crystal 10L
Hops according to original recipe except for dry hopping with 1 oz of citra.
Also would it still work if I sub extra Vienna with brewers 2-row? Its cheaper and I'm trying to brew two batches with a budget of 60 dollars.

I'm planning on brewing this tomorrow and have a half pound of flaked oats leftover from a previous brew. If I tossed this into this recipe, how would it affect the beer? Should I put them in another recipe? Just curious. Thanks.

I've made several batches of this before and it's always better towards the end of the keg (probably because I'm impatient). I have family coming in this weekend, and I brewed some last Thursday. I keep thinking I've drank this after 10 days and force carbing it, but now I'm second guessing myself. Has anyone else had any luck drinking this after the 10 days or so?

wburn said:
I've made several batches of this before and it's always better towards the end of the keg (probably because I'm impatient). I have family coming in this weekend, and I brewed some last Thursday. I keep thinking I've drank this after 10 days and force carbing it, but now I'm second guessing myself. Has anyone else had any luck drinking this after the 10 days or so?

I had after 10 days, and it had a strong yeast or bread taste. Started to go away around 3 weeks old.

Is there any issue doing this in a small batch ala Deathbrewer? I would like
to try the recipe in a 2.5 gallon batch due to equipment. Are there any changes
to the proceedure that need to be made? Thanks!

I don't see why... it's a very simple recipe to make... I've been doing this recipe with BIAB methode and it's worked out great for 3 batches in a row...

OH - and BTW in reference to the previous posts about this beer being difficult to clear... I had a keg left of my 2nd batch of this brew and after 7 weeks was still cloudy.. I mixed up a pouch of Knox gelatin and threw that in the keg, purged, shook keg, left the keg at 32-34F... 2 days later 2 pints of MUD come out and the rest pouring crystal clear!!! Totally impressed and can't even believe I have several kegs of this stuff left to drink :)

I did a 2.5 gal biab it turned out wonderfully i just used a little more than half of all grains

this is what mine looks like after a week of cold crashing and some gelatin.. a GREAT tasting beer... this was my third batch of this, for some reason Edwort's looks a bit darker than mine in his original picture...

0120.jpg

054.jpg

It's there some combination of Cara pils and crystal 30 that will get me close to crystal 10 on this recipe? Lhbs does not carry c10. I used Cara pils last time but out was far too light tasting for me.

I'm brewing a 10 gallon batch of this next week and was wondering everyone's opinions on dry hopping. I got a pound of cascade with this order, so having the hops on hand isn't an issue. I've seen anywhere from 1/2 oz to 2 oz and was curious about the results.

Edit
Also, has anyone tried doing a first wort hop on this?

O.k. so I have kegged this for a few weeks. I think it's at about week 10. Here's a recap:

It was slow to finish (maybe too cold 60-65 ferment). I racked and primed to keg at 14 days and should have waited a week. Then I transferred to keezer at ~28 days. It wasn't finished. I let it hang out in the keezer for ~ a week. Then I moved it to room temp again for ~10 days. It was about 70 F now. Then back to keezer. It was done fermenting then. So now at week ~10, it is as clear as most of my brews. It aged pretty good. It took about 10 beers to get to the clear part. Before this it was very cloudy. The finished product is bitter and has a strong munich extract taste. It's not terrible, just a little strong. I may have over done the extracts though.

I will make this again, next time all grain though and exactly as written in the OP. I just can't call this a go to beer right now. It was too much work to get to where it's at.

I like it enough to make it again.:mug:

Edwort,

Now that AHS no longer sells LME by the pound, is golden light LME the same as extra pale lme? If not what would you recommend over extra pale.

Thanks

Just found this thread. Can't believe this has been active so long!! Do any of you live near Rochester MN? I'd like to try this world famous Hous Ale before I brew it.

Cheers!

HomeBrew32 said:
Edwort,

Now that AHS no longer sells LME by the pound, is golden light LME the same as extra pale lme? If not what would you recommend over extra pale.

Thanks

If you want to use LME from AHS then go with the Extra Pale. If you choose DME then do the Extra Light or Light, just depending on the color you want.

Back