Bourbon County Malt Bill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wernerherzog

Reaction score
I'm working on a recipe for a bourbon county clone and was wondering if I could get some critiques from people here. I want to do a pretty good job with it but am not used to making finely tuned RIS recipes. Usually I just throw in a bunch of the usual suspects. I'm working from three sources to construct this first draft, one is the tally floating around here supposedly sourced from Goose Island that states their OG at 1.129, the second is the website for the specific grain types, and third is Designing Great Beer's section on the NHC 2nd round winners that gives a percentage of the malt bill of each ingredient in the average winner's recipe. I thought I'd start from these averages and fine-tune as others and myself thought fit. I have also sourced Daniels' numbers for the potential yield of grain types, taking roughly the median of each range he gives for every grain type I've used in the recipe. The latter being said, you might tell by now that I don't use brewing calculators for recipes... That said, here's what I have so far.

Efficiency- 70%

Pale----60%------------15.38 lbs.
C60-----9%-------------2.44 lbs.
Munich--13%-------------3.42 lbs.
Roast----8%-------------2.84 lbs.
Choc-----5%-------------1.7 lbs.
Debit Bl.--5%-------------1.84 lbs.

OG- 1.129 Total lbs: 27.62

Of course, the first thing that really strikes the eye is the grain total, so I have to ask whether or not people have any suggestions for hitting the high OG with less grains? Can I expect better numbers by splitting the grains up 50/50 into two different mash tuns and then emptying the mash together into one boil? Then I could bump up my expected efficiency.

The second question I have primarily is, as it stands, my percentage of base malt to specialty is 60/40 if you don't consider munich base, and 73/27 if you do. Is that too much specialty? Even for a giant RIS? If there were more base and less specialty I would certainly be able to hit the OG quicker with less grain. But would it taste as good?

The third question: What do you think of the grist in general? I want this to be BC stout, not Ray Daniels' statistical average of NHC 2nd round Stouts. What can I do to adjust to taste?

I'm hoping some people who have done some pretty monstrous RISs can chime in here and at least people who are familiar with doing big beers. My last 4-5 beers have been 1.110-1.120 but they've been closer to 20 lbs grain because the recipe called for more base than specialty given the beer type (Barleywine and Old Ale). Also, I've been boiling off something like 6 gallons total to get to those numbers, mashing in with 8 gallons and rinsing with an additional 6. I can't even imagine what I nightmare this will be.

Help!

No comments at all? Has anyone else brewed a stout with a big specialty bill and come out with a good product?

I like that grain bill...did you find info indicating approximate percentages. I think that your heavy on roasted. BCBS does have a decent amount of roast character too it...but its not overpowering. 8% just seems high to me...

Also, what are you mashing at...I'd mash high....I saw somewhere that the final gravity on this beer is in the 1.040s.

It also has a decent amount of bourbon that could give it a 1+% abv boost. All I know is that there is a lot of specialty grain/high FG, lots of bourbon/oak/vanilla, and it is amazing. I hope you nail it so I can duplicate it.

As far as mash goes, if you have a normal mash tun, say 10-12 g, that won't work well with 27lbs of grain. You may consider using some extract, or splitting into 2 mash runs, then using second runnings to make some lighter stouts or porter like beers (parti-gyle). Collecting more wort and Boiling 90-120 min will help you with efficiency.

Our club has brewed an attempt. It's very good but we haven't done a side by side yet.

205.0 lb (75.9%) Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt; Thomas Fawcett
18.0 lb (6.7%) Munich TYPE I; Weyermann
14.0 lb (5.2%) Chocolate Malt; Simpsons
14.0 lb (5.2%) Roasted Barley; Briess
12.0 lb (4.4%) Caramel Malt 60L; Briess
7.0 lb (2.6%) Carafa Special® TYPE III; Weyermann
10.0 oz (33.3%) Magnum (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 75 min
4.0 oz (13.3%) Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 75 min
8 oz (26.7%) Willamette (4.9%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
8 oz (26.7%) Willamette (4.9%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min

We re-brewed it and increased the IBU by 10 and increased the roasted barley to 16lbs. No taste on that batch yet.

Bobby_M said:
Our club has brewed an attempt. It's very good but we haven't done a side by side yet.

205.0 lb (75.9%) Maris Otter Pale Ale Malt; Thomas Fawcett
18.0 lb (6.7%) Munich TYPE I; Weyermann
14.0 lb (5.2%) Chocolate Malt; Simpsons
14.0 lb (5.2%) Roasted Barley; Briess
12.0 lb (4.4%) Caramel Malt 60L; Briess
7.0 lb (2.6%) Carafa Special® TYPE III; Weyermann
10.0 oz (33.3%) Magnum (10.0%) - added during boil, boiled 75 min
4.0 oz (13.3%) Magnum (14.5%) - added during boil, boiled 75 min
8 oz (26.7%) Willamette (4.9%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
8 oz (26.7%) Willamette (4.9%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min

We re-brewed it and increased the IBU by 10 and increased the roasted barley to 16lbs. No taste on that batch yet.

Holy Shiite, that's a lot of grain. How many g batch? 100? Hope it turns out good, that's a big investment there. On the ipad so can't see location, you happen to be in Chicago and snag some of the used BCBS barrels from Goose island to age it in?

cause that's what our club is doing ;)

Holy Shiite, that's a lot of grain. How many g batch? 100? Hope it turns out good, that's a big investment there. On the ipad so can't see location, you happen to be in Chicago and snag some of the used BCBS barrels from Goose island to age it in?

I did a big stout recently and used some DME to get the gravity up past what I could get from the grains I can fit in my tun. Is the FG on this really 1.040? Seems like that would be cloying...

That's the readings given by a data sheet floating around in another recipe, 2007 round I think. I agree though. I just tried one of my beers that's sitting at 1032 and it was a bit much (it might have been a combo of that with esters and hops though for that particular beer). I thinik it might still possibly sit well with a beer like BC). I'm extremely hesitant about the giant numbers, though, and so I'm going to do a test batch this weekend. If it's cloying, we'll adjust the recipe for other batches.

Back