Adjusting FG ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schoeny

Reaction score
I am planning a fruit beer recipe using beer smith and the estimated FG is 1.007. I plan on using WLP 060 the American ale blend. This has become my house yeast and I am very familiar with the attenuation I am able to get with it. The problem is I would like to stunt the yeast and try to stop it at about 1.012 or 1.010. I plan on adding copious amounts of fruit in the secondary and my fear is that it will dry out even further(not desired). Any additions to the wort pre or post boil would be welcomed.

I almost never use Beersmith's estimated FG. This tends to be difficult to predict as there are a number of factors that affect this. Things like the amount of crystal malts used, maltodextrin, mash temp, yeast attenuation and pitching rate.

Keep in mind, if you want to keep sweetness after fruit additions, there are additives like potassium sorbate that inhibit yeast, so you can use that to keep fruity sweetness if you wish.

Also keep in mind that the body of your beer will not necessarily change by the addition of fruit. You will still have an equal amount of unfermented maltose before fruit additions as after, assuming you allowed for a full fermentation before secondary.

Thanks for the response.
I Was already planning on mashing high(156f). I will be adding 2 lbs of C10, 1.5 lbs of lactose and .5 lbs of malto dextrin. I have been getting 78% attenuation with WLP060(this will be gen 4) so I have to assume I'll be near that. I really don't want to use a preservative because id like to bottle condition(and avoid re-pitching). Should I add more malto dextrin, wasn't sure of the amount as this is my first go round with that. But I really appreciate the don't trust the estimate. I think I might go that route.

Lactose will not ferment and that 1.5 lbs in a 5 gallon batch will add noticeable sweetness. It will also add around 10 gravity points (minus alcohol density) to the final gravity. Likewise, maltodextrin will add another 2 or 3 points to your FG. You could also expect a couple extra points (depending on grain weight in the mash) due to the higher mash temp. I typically mash around 152F. My highest mash has been 158F with an imperial stout, but I also used 5 lbs of honey in the recipe.

From the sounds of things, you are going to have tons of body and a lot of sweetness in your beer. Once again, this is assuming a 5 gallon batch.

Back