increase alcohol %

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bpark21

Reaction score
I just got introduced to brewing and figured id start small. So I bought a mrbeer kit.and I have noticed the alcohol % is very low.what can I add to increase it?

Sometimes I add 1lb of sugar to a 5 gal batch of beer. You could try adding 1/2 lb. But be careful and don't overdo it. I started with Mr. beer and one of my last batches I did I added 1 lb of honey and it took almost 1 year to taste just OK.

You could add more lme or dme. I'm sure the thread above points that out as well. That is probably your best bet flavor wise.

Standard for Mr. Beers with booster is 2.3% for the malt extract can, and 1.4% in the booster. Assuming you don't use anything else in the mix, you end up with 3.7% ABV
Many of the recipes could have a bit of honey or brown sugar added, but I wouldn't exceed 1cup per standard kit, or it's going to throw off your flavors a bit.
Now, if you start with the premium kits that use either 2x Hopped Malt Extract, or 1x Hopped and 1x Unhopped (4.6% ABV), you can toy with that a bit further, but with the unhopped keep the style in mind- when you add more sugar or honey, not all of that is going to attenuate, which will mean some added ABV, but also a bit more sweetness at the end. If you don't add more hops, you might throw off your balance a bit, and actually make a less tasty brew.
You could also just pick up some dry or liquid malt extract to add to your brew, because the yeast attenuates those better, you can mess with the recipe a bit further before you really notice the profile, and particularly the hop bitterness and aroma, are effected.

Remember, low alcohol doesn't mean poor flavor, and high alcohol doesn't mean tasty.

I use Mr Beer right now as I am scrounging for larger equipment. IMO you are better off not using adjuncts like the booster to boost your ABV because it give a cidery flavor that takes quite a while to condition out. Use the can of the pre-hopped LME and go get yourself 2 lbs of DME to go with it and you will have something over 5% ABV and taste better than using the booster. While you are at it, throw the "fromunda" yeast that is under the lid into your boil for yeast nutrient and pitch a decent dry yeast from the LHBS in its place.

Latest posts

Back