How to crush grain without a mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miket1099

Reaction score
I am doing my first BIAB recipe that i got from death brewers amazing post about BIAB, But i ordered all my grains off the internet and forgot to ask for my 3 lbs of pale wheat crushed and i don't have a mill, so if anybody can help me out please let me know

yea right after i wrote this i saw all the threads about doing it with a rolling pin my bad but thanks for the quick responses

Mike

Unfortunatly you got one of the harder grains to crush. I used a wine bottle with a paperbag on a cutting board.I hated the plastic bag it ruptures and probably embedds pieces of plastic in the grain.Its ok for small amouts ,but i just crushed a few oz at a time. Be prepared 3# may take you about an hour+ to crush.Good workout though,maybe some sweat too.
After going from partial mashes to more or less all-grain, i got a$55 corona mill.Fresh,crushed grain in no time and i swear my batches are better and my efficency as a bonus,not that im that hard up for efficency. You can still get good crushes from rolling it.
And yes you want to lay out one layer at a time dump repeat.

yea i am for sure next time getting a corona mill it seems that those are the best mill for the price. also where do u get these mills?

Lots of peeps will do it in a blender, but you can only do about 1/2 pound at a time, so it takes quite a while.

Back