New Here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HippityHop

Reaction score
I'm new here and just wanted to say hi. I brewed up my first batch last night, and this morning I had some nice signs of fermentation. Pretty excited to taste the final product.

A few questions:

1. I live in Houston, where it is 100 degrees every day in the summer. When I was chilling my wort, it took a long time because the "cold" water isn't that cold. Probably took a good two hours. Is that a problem? I assume its probably not ideal, but hopefully not something that will ruin the beer.

2. The coldest place for the fermentation process is in a dark closet on my first floor. Its probably a constant 74 degrees. Is that too hot? What do people do who live in the South? Its just too hot.

3. My OG was about 1.050, but the recipe said it should be 1.063. What could cause this? Is that a problem going forward?

Thanks for the help. I'm making the Surly Furious recipe here: http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewi...y-brewing-furious-pro-series-extract-kit.html

Thanks for the help.

Back