Single infusion mashing question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

metalbrewer

Reaction score
I'm reading up on this but am confuesed on the "Mash Out " I have to bring it up to 170 but do I stir that in? Or just lightly add it in? I'm also reading on step mashing so that might be my problem

It depends on whether you are batch sparging or fly sparging. Batch sparging involves adding all the water, stirring the mash, and letting the grain bed resettle. Fly sparging involves no stirring, just a continuous, gentle sprinkle of water to maintain your mash level.

jeepinjeepin said:
It depends on whether you are batch sparging or fly sparging. Batch sparging involves adding all the water, stirring the mash, and letting the grain bed resettle. Fly sparging involves no stirring, just a continuous, gentle sprinkle of water to maintain your mash level.

Fly sparging

So you mash at 152* or so and after your 60 min or so rest you start running off while sprinkling 170* water at the same rate.

metalbrewer said:
Fly sparging

Not to stir you away from your method but for those new to all grain, batch sparging is the easiest. Add your strike water, let rest for the mash duration... Add 1st sparge addition, stir, let rest for 10 or so minutes and then vorlauf till it's clear. Drain entire tun. Add last sparge addition, stir, and let rest, vorlauf and drain. Done. No mash out required and is the simplest method for me.

jeepinjeepin said:
So you mash at 152* or so and after your 60 min or so rest you start running off while sprinkling 170* water at the same rate.

Oh ok that's what I have done in the past but I bout this book saying to bring up the temp to 170* sit for 10 min then sparge so I thought I was missing that step . So I'll just keep doing it the same. Mash for 60min , vourlof, then fly sparge

Back