Using Gelatin Fining in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsmith12

Reaction score
So last night I transferred my beer into the secondary and racked it on top of 1.5lbs of honey and a 3lbs can of Oregon Raspberry puree. Right now it's pretty messy looking, a deep cloudy brown color right now. My question is when should I add the gelatin fining to the secondary? A few days before I bottle or a week or two before I bottle? I've also read you lose carbonation when you add gelatin and need the beer after bottling to sit 3-4 weeks to get the carbonation back, is that true? Thanks for any help!

It's not so much that you lose the carbonation, but rather that gelatin pulls yeast out of suspension and thus takes longer to carbonate. When you bottle beer, it's not carbonated. Many people have found that gelatin can make your beer take longer to carbonate, but I am not sure that I would give a specific number of weeks like that because (like with non-gelatin fined beer) there are many factors at play in determining how long it takes for a beer to bottle carbonate.

Typically, gelatin is added to cold beer 3-5 days before bottling. There is a description of the process here.

The gelatin will pull a lot more yeast out of suspension. If you start with less yeast, it's going to take longer for the beer to properly carb. So, yes...it takes comparatively longer for gelatinized beers to carbonate. After you add the gelatin, wait about 3 to 5 days before bottling.

Thank for the help guys, usually my beer clears on it's own, but there doesn't seem to be much hope with all the puree floating around. Thanks MalFet, I'm going to the process of gelatin link right after this. Thank you too brewhooligan, I thought we had to wait a certain amount of time but wasn't sure how long before bottling. Thanks guys.

Back